When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP-1960 period fork dimension question

-
There is an alternative to pushing with a jack. You can spin the fork in the frame (pointing backward instead of forward), put a rod thru the dropouts, rig a Spanish windlass between the rod the BB, and twist away. Pulling instead of pushing.

There is an alternative to pushing with a jack. You can spin the fork in the frame (pointing backward instead of forward), put a rod thru the dropouts, rig a Spanish windlass between the rod the BB, and twist away. Pulling instead of pushing.

I'm rigging up a hydraulic press to correct the steerer tube bend with machinist V blocks..will post a picture or two when done. Supports will be at the crown and steer tube base.

Derusting at moment.

Thanks everyone for input..

I'm rigging up a hydraulic press to correct the steerer tube bend with machinist V blocks..will post a picture or two when done. Supports will be at the crown and steer tube base.

Derusting at moment.

Thanks everyone for input..

Thank YOU to everyone....after initial derusting check I noticed morre seriuos rust pitting amd metal removed.at the bottom of the Steer tube and under a stuck lower race.

Way too much material pittting problems to even touch up weld and file and then attempt to straignten....See picture.

Not going to straignten or anything else..replacing with a better fork...Learned a lot of straighyening methods..THANKS AGAIN.....Wayne

I'll make a lamp with it..:)

fork rust .jpg

Thank YOU to everyone....after initial derusting check I noticed morre seriuos rust pitting amd metal removed.at the bottom of the Steer tube and under a stuck lower race.

Way too much material pittting problems to even touch up weld and file and then attempt to straignten....See picture.

Not going to straignten or anything else..replacing with a better fork...Learned a lot of straighyening methods..THANKS AGAIN.....Wayne

I'll make a lamp with it..:)

View attachment 746952
I would wire wheel that area and see what it looks like under there - just me... But essentially I agree, failures at the fork crown can result in serious headers so replacement is the best route in this case.

Nice! You could buy the shop version of this back in the 70's/early 80's - just like this one it was a modified car jack - that ratcheting sound always jacked up my nerves as well.
The pitting goes around 1/4 uf the crown the steer tube lower race. I imagine inside is thinner too... This bike is intended to be a dsily rider and most of the pitting came off after abou 4 hours of derusting..
That area is the highest stressed part of a fork............

Going to make a lamp with it later with a chainring welded to the axle drop out.at base and also oak routed 8" base..Cheers :)

Back