When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help/advice:48 Restoration Project

-

Brian A

Look Ma, No Hands!
I finally got me a Schwinn cruiser ( serial # F094908 is on bottom of frame under crankshaft) to restore, but am needing some help/advice, please. I have the skill to work on, disassemble, and put back parts on bike. My dilemma is:where to find- buying correct parts. I do want to keep it original. I will be needing: fenders, mud guard, chain guard, tank, luggage rack... to start. Any advice is well appreciated!

Could anyone tell me what this model is? After googling serial # this is all I found. http://schwinncruisers.com/catalogs/1948.html#db-97xe. If needing more pics please don't hesitate to ask.Thank you in advance!
WIN_20160619_11_09_12_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160619_11_09_33_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160619_11_10_15_Pro.jpg
WIN_20160619_11_10_18_Pro.jpg

Brian A

WTB here, Memory Lane bikes, and ebay will get you anything your little heart desires, along with a bank account to finance the purchases and you are all set.

I looked on eBay already and wasn't sure what parts I need would fit? Do I need to get my parts that are from a 48, or will parts from other years that are close to the same year fit?

Thanks, bikeguy.

just my opinion,and you did ask for advice.you might want to do some research on prices for all the parts you need before jumping into this projectparts from 47ish up to 54 or so will interchange.there were many models that bike could've been.
I would be on the hunt for a complete bike with no wheels and rob the parts.tanks can get pricey as well as nice fenders.

just my opinion,and you did ask for advice.you might want to do some research on prices for all the parts you need before jumping into this projectparts from 47ish up to 54 or so will interchange.there were many models that bike could've been.
I would be on the hunt for a complete bike with no wheels and rob the parts.tanks can get pricey as well as nice fenders.
I am most likely going to restore it part-by-part. I can't afford to buy a complete bike. I did find some repro parts on ebay: tank, seat spring. That will make it more affordable to build. Not sure if I will go in that direction or stick with original? Money is going to be a factor. Nice to know that I don't have to get exact 48 parts. That will make the searching easier! Do you, or anyone know how I can trace the exact name/model??
Appreciate your input, island schwinn!

Schwinn's are great that you can build a bike to your budget. I have the rack,fenders,and chainguard for a schwinn hornets,straight,primered,and ready to go. Shoot me a p.m. if interested.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

You could buy an equipped girls hornet/DX with the same paint/patina and harvest the fenders, chainguard, rack, and light off of it. Sell the stripped carcass as a rider and wait around for the tank to pop up on feeBay.

Back