When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP cleaning my bike

-

frank562

Look Ma, No Hands!
I bought a very rusty bicycle, and i have no idea how to bring the paint (whatever is left) up without making it worse, ANY suggestions it will be greatly appreciated, THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
Screenshot_20180512-085439_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20180512-085439_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20180512-085526_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20180512-085601_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20180512-085601_eBay.jpg

I have had good luck with citric acid for rust removal. Removes the rust not the paint. It will bleach out reds if left too long.

514Q8PwBUPL._AC_US218_.jpg

$13.79 for 5 lbs @ Amazon

Experiment with some #0000 steel wool and WD40. Rub gently until you see how it’s going to work. Maybe the underside of a fender. Wipe off residue with cotton rag. If that works for you rub on/in boiled linseed oil. Buff off until it’s feeling non oily, the it should dry without gumming up. If you have paint left this will bring it up.

This is the link to a bike I cleaned up:
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/born-again-hawthorne-a-rider-it-is.103150/
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dont think an oxy bath will do much good.That old boy is REALLY rusted. Good luck with any method you try.

I'd try the chisel and hammer method first. Then follow up with a flap sander on a 4.5" angle grinder. :D J/K.

Seriously, I'd consider the citric acid bath and then a linseed oil coating.

Back