When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help date this Westfield/Columbia

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fat tire trader

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
The serial numbers that I have found online do not go back far enough for this bike. I assume it's a Westfield because it has the double d crank.
When I got the bike, it had a Schwinn badge on it. You can see it has 2 sets of badge holes, one horizontal and one vertical. It has a raised triangle on the top of the fork crown. I was told that the Westfield built Indians had this style crown. The bike has steel single tube rims with a Musselman armless coaster.

IMG_20191230_120615.jpg

IMG_20191230_120836.jpg

IMG_20191230_120724.jpg

Chain adjusters dosent look like a Westfield(columbia) built bike. That fork can be used on other bikes

Looks like it might be a Shapleigh's Hardware store bike versus Columbia (chain ring sprocket).
"L" could be either 20 or 33; but the fork and headset cups sure do look fancy though.

The new head badge holes are indicated by the badge outline; the side holes may be the originals.
1116863 1116865
The chain adjusters are the same as other Westfield-built Shapleigh bikes; (another indicator of not Columbia).
I had believed that Shapleigh started buying from Westfield in the later 1920's.
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/barn-find-can-anyone-help-identify-year.152663/

Last edited:
My 1924, 1927, and 1928 Columbia/westfield built bikes have the same fancy head set hardware. I would feel inclined to say that this bike is a 1933-1934 based off of the serial number and some of the features of the frame. The bayonet style Double D crank was used from the early 20’s into the 30’s. That chain ring was also a popular Westfield piece in that time period as well.

Back