When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP does any one have a picture of a 1958 schwnnhornet 24 inch

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

chucksoldbikes

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Suspended
restoring a 1958 Schwinn hornet 24 inch bicycle it looked to be plack not sure though ithad somany coats of paint on it
need the paint seheme for it any help would be appreciated

I don't know about the color 'plack' or the 'seheme' but bikehistory.org will get you to catalogs which will tell you the available colors for the year and the scheme in which they were painted. Let Google images be your guide. A picture is worth 1,000 words.

Here is one of only two 1958 bike images from the non existent 1958 catalog. Other than the chain guard, the 24 incher appears to be the same the 26" model.

Here's a 26" missing the light and tank.
More pictures here. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/my-first-late-50s-hornet.144241/

1568432195811.png

Last edited:
For some reason I couldn't add another image in my post. Here is the 58 Catalog image. One of two images to exist for 1958. The 24" appears to be the same as the 26" other than the chain guard.

1568432502017.png

The catalog picture might be a reprint of the '57; the seat in the picture, not the catalog, is correct for the '58 models - like the one on my (wife's) '58 Starlet. In the ad, it states "Sturdy luggage carrier on 26" models only" so a 24" bike would not have a rear rack. By this time, these were now considered middleweights with the S-7 rims and "Schwinn Westwind 1.75" tires were standard.

The catalog picture might be a reprint of the '57; the seat in the picture, not the catalog, is correct for the '58 models - like the one on my (wife's) '58 Starlet. In the ad, it states "Sturdy luggage carrier on 26" models only" so a 24" bike would not have a rear rack. By this time, these were now considered middleweights with the S-7 rims and "Schwinn Westwind 1.75" tires were standard.

Very well could be a repeat of the 57 image. Notice these real examples of 58's have the built in kickstand and there was a seat change on a lot of the models in 1958.

Here's another 26" that looks untouched but missing the carrier. Thanks Tim. ;) https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/1958-schwinn-hornet.98180/

1568435327339.png

Go the website for Dave's Vintage Bikes. Do a search for a 1958 Schwinn. You'll find two. One is an old, abused Typhoon. The other is a "kid's" (assuming a 24 ") Hornet that is NOS, NIB, and anything else you can say about a 1958 bicycle that has its original price tag hanging from it and is pictured with the box from which it was just taken. It still has the protective plastic seat covering on it. Can't get much closer to how it should look than this one. It's red though.

restoring a 1958 Schwinn hornet 24 inch bicycle it looked to be plack not sure though ithad somany coats of paint on it
need the paint seheme for it any help would be appreciated
This might be what you're looking for. Looks to be Radiant or Opal red, but, think this one is Radiant. It clams to be a 56 but, I don't think the 24" chain guard had it's own newer design to match those used in full size 26"-ers. Ptior to this newer Schwinn CG was using their 40-5os standard "Junior" chain guard on 20 and 24"-ers face plate. So, this would be about the same in 58. Lot of choice in which color you want as B/C there was candy and standard color availed, yet if it's black, it's prob the same black on the corvettes and suggesting a 58 24 "-er Choices are Radiant like it appears in this too.

The question remains, far as I no; Decal sizes were never reproduced so, U prob need to measure to discover.

a15a64ed16464e51a3ef31982edd4276.jpg

Back