When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help finding info on antique Roadmaster

-

Gordo

On Training Wheels
I need help finding info on this old Roadmaster riding scooter. I received it when my girls were little 25 years ago and it was a hand me down from at least 2 people before that. I have attached pictures. There are no serial numbers that I can find but the tag on it says Roadmaster. Olin Illinois Can anyone help me identify this and give me some information on how old it may be? I’m thinking it may be from the 40s or 50s
151B3359-A372-4402-8134-638E58A63807.jpeg

236712E7-848D-43D3-9E39-F50729191335.jpeg

5764F23D-058B-47DC-A360-85F5548AEA36.jpeg

If those wheels are made of plastic (which they appear to be), this little scooter dates somewhere in the 1970s and '80s. If it was made back in the '40s and '50s the wheels would have been metal and the tires rubber. That's also a newer Roadmaster decal. My daughter's Roadmaster trike dates to 1988 and has the same decal design and stamped metal seat style. This scooter is about 60 years shy of being an antique. Hope that helps a little.

Dave

If those wheels are made of plastic (which they appear to be), this little scooter dates somewhere in the 1970s and '80s. If it was made back in the '40s and '50s the wheels would have been metal and the tires rubber. That's also a newer Roadmaster decal. My daughter's Roadmaster trike dates to 1988 and has the same decal design and stamped metal seat style. This scooter is about 60 years shy of being an antique. Hope that helps a little.

Dave

Thanks for replying. I really do appreciate your reply.

The wheels are not made of plastic. There are caps on the wheels that are made of plastic that told me it is definitely after the war. Hope you noticed it’s not a trike. No pedals. I know it is older than the 80s and probably the 70s. The person that gave this to me said she rode it when she was a kid and that would have been the late 50s So assuming good she was crazy. I got this in about 91 and it was way older that 5-10 years then. I could believe the sixties But was hoping to find some info on this. I have been fortunate to pass this on to my 2 year old grandaughter She loves it. But just hoping to find specific info. When it was made and name of it.

Dave. The wheels are steel and the tires are a hard rubber. Not plastic. The only thing plastic is the caps on the wheel shafts. Not sure if those are original or not but everything else is steel on this thing.

RM moved to Olney in ‘62 so no way as old as you think. I’m with Dave and think mid 80s on this one. Definitely not antique

I've found a couple other web pages that show one of these but neither give a name. I've even looked for Roadmaster juvenile products brochures and ads of that time period. Couldn't find any of those either. Most were from the '50s/'60s and only showed trikes and sidewalk bikes. Have to keep digging on this one.

Dave

I've found a couple other web pages that show one of these but neither give a name. I've even looked for Roadmaster juvenile products brochures and ads of that time period. Couldn't find any of those either. Most were from the '50s/'60s and only showed trikes and sidewalk bikes. Have to keep digging on this one.

Dave

I finally found it. They are called wee wheelers. Made in the 60s. This one has the blue hub caps. Haven’t found out when they switched to the white

1558227956290.jpeg

Great job finding information on it. I would have never guessed that name. It is earlier than I had thought. Guess that stamped metal seat style was used for several years by Roadmaster.

Dave

Great job finding information on it. I would have never guessed that name. It is earlier than I had thought. Guess that stamped metal seat style was used for several years by Roadmaster.

Dave
Now the question is do I go ahead and restore it to like new condition or leave like it is.? Would love for my granddaughter to be able to pass it down some day. Thoughts anyone?

Back