When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help getting date/info on Hawthorne bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Look for markings on the rear hub, specifically to see if it says Sturmey Archer and any numbers.
Here is a pic from google for reference, your rear hub looks something like this:

1560362745823.png

I agree, looks like a 3 speed.
If it's a Sturmey Archer rear hub, it'll have the last two digits of the year the hub was made.
Assuming the hub is original to the bike, that stamp on the hub would get you close to the year the bike was built.
But remember, the hub could have been made during the year before the frame was built. So it's not an exact science, but will get you in the ballpark.

I found 3 digits, no other markings from what i can tell unless they're covered up by stuff. By the way, today I rode it and the chain snapped off. Its pretty old looking even tho I put WD-40 on it. Im gonna have to go to Walmart and get a new chain. Is there a certain size?

hub.jpg

Shimano hubs aren't date stamped, as far as I know, so it probably won't help date the bike. No idea if it would be original or not.

As far as your chain goes, I would recommend a visit to a local bike shop if you have one nearby. The chain should be pretty standard, however you need to make sure it's the same length. If it's longer, it would need to be shortened, and the bike shop would be able to do that for you.

Shimano hubs aren't date stamped, as far as I know, so it probably won't help date the bike. No idea if it would be original or not.

As far as your chain goes, I would recommend a visit to a local bike shop if you have one nearby. The chain should be pretty standard, however you need to make sure it's the same length. If it's longer, it would need to be shortened, and the bike shop would be able to do that for you.

Hey Jay81! I think I found something. Check out this link https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1970s-hawthorne-speed-mens-road-1803031981

That looks exactly like my bike! Way cleaner and nicer of course. The guy says the serial number is D147486 for that one. Maybe you can find the year with that info? and thanks for the bike chain advice. Ill look for a bike shop.

Back