When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help help me Rhonda, or anybody

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
IMG_6407.JPG
IMG_6407.JPG
IMG_6407.JPG
IMG_6407.JPG
Welcome to the CABE!
If he's using the wrong fender this won't work. V/r Shawn
The clip that the Trike Guy posted looks like the part that I need, except it`s too short to fit over the hole in this fender. The fender fits nicely, everything is correct, except the hole is about 1/4 inch to far back. Like I posted earlier, I just look at the bike rather than go out and ride it. Been wanting my old 1950 Black Phantom back (that I sold for $20.00 in 1958) but this is a nice stubstitute (this one was built October 1955).View attachment 766902
IMG_6407.JPG
IMG_6407.JPG
IMG_6407.JPG

Welcome to the CABE!
IMG_6407.JPG

View attachment 766904 View attachment 767023 View attachment 766904 View attachment 766904

The clip that the Trike Guy posted looks like the part that I need, except it`s too short to fit over the hole in this fender. The fender fits nicely, everything is correct, except the hole is about 1/4 inch to far back. Like I posted earlier, I just look at the bike rather than go out and ride it. Been wanting my old 1950 Black Phantom back (that I sold for $20.00 in 1958) but this is a nice stubstitute (this one was built October 1955).View attachment 766902 View attachment 766904 View attachment 766904 View attachment 766904

View attachment 766904

He has a non locking fork, the one you sent is a locking one. Those non locking fenders dont really come up that often. They are out there.

@Freqman1 @Cliff Judkins

Oh man, I'd want to ride that after all the work. Nice job on the resto.
Oh man, I'd want to ride that after all the work. Nice job on the resto.
Thanks, I worked hard on this one.
He has a non locking fork, the one you sent is a locking one. Those non locking fenders dont really come up that often. They are out there.

@Freqman1 @Cliff Judkins
You are correct, it is a non locking fork. Wish I could find that little piece and finish the job, but the little chrome bolt will have to do for awhile.

Yeah, you're looking for this. Springer fender hanger. it hangs on the pivot bolt. I think it was 1954 when Schwinn redesigned the springer and used these, fitting directly center of the crown on the pivot bolt and continued up to about 2002.

Schwinn Super Deluxe Springer Fork Fender Bracket, ebay link: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=222869259688

also used for; 'Schwinn Stingray Krate, Front Fender Tube U Bracket"

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, you're looking for this. Springer fender hanger. it hangs on the pivot bolt. I think it was 1954 when Schwinn redesigned the springer and used these, fitting directly center of the crown on the pivot bolt and continued up to about 2002.

Schwinn Super Deluxe Springer Fork Fender Bracket, ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Schwinn-Su...259688?hash=item33e40b05a8:g:Wb4AAOSwu-Jang-J

also used for; 'Schwinn Stingray Krate, Front Fender Tube U Bracket"

View attachment 769027
Unfortunately,that won`t work. I have one of those. It worked well on the origional rusty, beat up, dented fender. This is a replacement fender, and the hole is further back. Keep lookin` for me.

Unfortunately,that won`t work. I have one of those. It worked well on the origional rusty, beat up, dented fender. This is a replacement fender, and the hole is further back. Keep lookin` for me.
Whelp, in that case got no clue wat's-cha-gots-dar. "Replacement fender" by who, what, when, where, how? The 1955 Phantom without locking fork I gots too. You're looking at it in my little profile photo, that uses the center mount hanging bracket. I've also got the other, with lock, that uses the first bracketed clip. As somebody said earlier, that; you need the type for without fork lock, I doubt would solve this. It's not the lock positioning but the crown, old and new type. #2800 (old style) and #2802 (new style)

There's only 2 kinds that I know of. Yet, it seems that, it's not a bracket to solve your problem, it's the fork. You've probably got a repop fender 1995. That's made for Schwinn's earlier springer fork crown, #2800 (old style) pre-1954 (see below illustrations) . Your mounting hole is 'aft;' because, pre 54 fork crown pivot bolt is also set back whereas, post 54 #2802 (new style) the pivot bolt is centered below the crown.

Personally, I've never tried swapping the fenders nor given it much thought. I'm missing the front fender on my 55 and have considered buying a repop. I've never heard of anybody running into this problem too. However, if there is a 3rd type of clip, an adaptable cross that hangs off the pivot bolt post 1954 to 2002 I donno. Possibly, I imagine it's going to be just like the center hanging U bracket and have an extension on 1 side to reach the mounting hole of the fender. If you were to bolt a flat bracket onto the U bracket, it'll prob scratch the top of fender and rust, Perhaps you'll need to braze an extension on it. Or, as it's just a flat metal bracket with 3 holes, 2 larger for pivot bolt 1 small for fender screw then bent into the U shape. you could have a sheet metal shop make it. Rather than just a straight sheet metal with the holes, it would be a T shape, 2 holes for pivot bolt in the same place and the fender screw on the leg of the T. The same bent angles the U bracket has, and the leg of the T would be the length you need to mount the pre-1954 fender size.

Did Schwinn make that post 54, or even 1995 or later? I donno, but it would shape the "Thingy" as you call it. Or for lack of better description; Extended U bracket for Pre-1954 and 1995 phantom repop fender: adapted fender clip for post 1954 (type II or 'New style' see below), Springer . .
Maybe I ought to patent it!
Then, with an exclusive design patent, I can pawn it off to the needy for $59 bucks a pop, sue copy-cats for their life's savings, and get rich. [grin]

Or, back in the 50's Schwinn prob, short of selling you a new fender, just drilled another hole to fit it.

Old style, pre 1954 and 1995 repop:
62parts11b-jpg-jpg.jpg

New Style post 1954:
62parts10b-jpg-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Whelp, in that case got no clue wat's-cha-gots-dar. "Replacement fender" by who, what, when, where, how? The 1955 Phantom without locking fork I gots too. You're looking at it in my little profile photo, that uses the center mount hanging bracket. I've also got the other, with lock, that uses the first bracketed clip. As somebody said earlier, that; you need the type for without fork lock, I doubt would solve this. It's not the lock positioning but the crown, old and new type. #2800 (old style) and #2802 (new style)

There's only 2 kinds that I know of. Yet, it seems that, it's not a bracket to solve your problem, it's the fork. You've probably got a repop fender 1995. That's made for Schwinn's earlier springer fork crown, #2800 (old style) pre-1954 (see below illustrations) . Your mounting hole is 'aft;' because, pre 54 fork crown pivot bolt is also set back whereas, post 54 #2802 (new style) the pivot bolt is centered below the crown.

Personally, I've never tried swapping the fenders nor given it much thought. I'm missing the front fender on my 55 and have considered buying a repop. I've never heard of anybody running into this problem too. However, if there is a 3rd type of clip, an adaptable cross that hangs off the pivot bolt post 1954 to 2002 I donno. Possibly, I imagine it's going to be just like the center hanging U bracket and have an extension on 1 side to reach the mounting hole of the fender. If you were to bolt a flat bracket onto the U bracket, it'll prob scratch the top of fender and rust, Perhaps you'll need to braze an extension on it. Or, as it's just a flat metal bracket with 3 holes, 2 larger for pivot bolt 1 small for fender screw then bent into the U shape. you could have a sheet metal shop make it. Rather than just a straight sheet metal with the holes, it would be a T shape, 2 holes for pivot bolt in the same place and the fender screw on the leg of the T. The same bent angles the U bracket has, and the leg of the T would be the length you need to mount the pre-1954 fender size.

Did Schwinn make that post 54, or even 1995 or later? I donno, but it would shape the "Thingy" as you call it. Or for lack of better description; Extended U bracket for Pre-1954 and 1995 phantom repop fender: adapted fender clip for post 1954 (type II or 'New style' see below), Springer . .
Maybe I ought to patent it!
Then, with an exclusive design patent, I can pawn it off to the needy for $59 bucks a pop, sue copy-cats for their life's savings, and get rich. [grin]

Or, back in the 50's Schwinn prob, short of selling you a new fender, just drilled another hole to fit it.

Old style, pre 1954 and 1995 repop:
View attachment 769579

New Style post 1954:
View attachment 769580
I thought of your last suggestion first thing, Before I asked for help from you experts, drill a new hole and use the existing part. Maybe place a fender washer between the fender and thhe nut for additional support. Maybe I will, then I might decide to take a nap instead.

Back