When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help i.d. bicycle frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think this may be a Great Western manufacture motobike....the excelsior (Michigan city) frame has a volcano joint on the middle bar. This bike has no lugging. That fauber crank also points to great western.....This thread may help. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/tripple3s-great-western-rider.114920/#post-761541
5D9E21FA-D086-4843-AD3A-4582564A65C7.jpeg

The curvy bend (drop bar) looks characteristic Great Western, as does the heavy boss hairpin truss rod.
Excelsior's may have more of a faired yoke (wye) truss rod. See threads on the Fauber-GWM connection.
GW may often have badges such as Adlake, America, Crown, Reading Standard; R/S may have had side-holes.
Catalogs say 20" nominal frame size, but mine is 19-3/8" - and may require Ross 35mm headset cups.

Last edited:
my, bad...on Excellsior....Saw one once with fauber and fork. Great Western looks like a match....they must made for Montgomery Ward ...Hawthorne bicycles.

Aside from some switched out parts.

The dogleg cranks might not be GW or Fauber; the chain ring, with 3 arms, may be an older Fauber with a separate hole for the round drive pin.
On my Fauber set, the drive pin hole was in place of one of the more rectangular slots in one of the 3 arms.
A reason that the cranks look askew may be because GWM could have used oversize cranks, (hard to see), with the drive pin further from the shaft, perhaps also requiring oversize cone thread diameters?

Some GWM motorbike ads show a snowflake design, (similar to Iver Johnson & Hawthorne), which GW identifies as R.S. design (Reading Standard).

Back