When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID'ing a CWC bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

fordmike65

Riding a '37 Colson Imperial
Picked up this project & in the stage of mocking it up. Frame looks a bit different than others I've seen in that it has a straight downtube instead of the usual curved. Can anyone shed some light on exactly what I have here? As always, thank you in advance for the help Cabe'rs. Mike

CAM00138_zpsyrljgeyf-1.jpg

CAM00137_zpsghpzxxhe-1.jpg

cwcframe_zps74c20c9f-1.jpg

The Hurd/Gordon Hawthorne reprint doesn't show this style frame with curved chain stays and straight down tube. Is it because 1938-1939 F/W and 1939 S/S are missing?

Interesting! The serial does suggest a late '38 to early '39 date. I've never seen a 3-gill frame with the straight downtube like that. I googled it though and found an old thread from RRB with one of Phil's wonderful CWC responses:

"The frame you have is what could be considered the second series 3-Gill frame. The 3-Gill frame, so called by collectors for the tank that fits it, was one of CWC’s longest running offerings.

The first 3-Gills were introduced in 1938 and the last were produced in the mid fifties. Second series frames are categorized by the upswept chainstays in combination with a straight downtube. By the CWC catalogs this pattern was current and offered only in 1939 and 1940 but it was probably in production before the end of 1938 and may have continued in production until the cessation of bicycle production in early 1942."

Back