When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID my Elgin Curve bar

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

nick1985

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi guys,

I found this Elgin bicycle over here in London UK and Im needing some help to ID the year. The bike has been re painted by the previous owner so its difficult to make out the serial number but I think it reads

MOD 192
SEP 126828

Does anyone have any pictures of how this bike should look once restored?

thank you in advance

Nick

IMG_0754.JPG

MOD is 1939. Murray of Ohio (MO) built your bike; ('D') is 1939. Your frame has mount and stops for a rear stand.... pre-war style. Nice Bike! Clean, Lube, and Ride. to good and cost prohibitive to RESTORE. Google 1939 Elgin boys bicycle; you should see various photos like your bike. Someone else, here, will be more qualified than I to answer up as to what equipment matches your model number.

MOD is 1939. Murray of Ohio (MO) built your bike; ('D') is 1939. Your frame has mount and stops for a rear stand.... pre-war style. Nice Bike! Clean, Lube, and Ride. to good and cost prohibitive to RESTORE. Google 1939 Elgin boys bicycle; you should see various photos like your bike. Someone else, here, will be more qualified than I to answer up as to what equipment matches your model number.

thanks for your help. I cant believe its from 1939!

I dont think I will fully restore it but I would like to collect some of the original parts over time...especially a tank although I know that will be $$$

Can you tell what color it was? Look inside the tubes or the steering tube. Here was one I had. https://thecabe.com/forum/media/albums/firestone-pilot.311/

Good idea, I haven't actually checked for the original colour. The guy I bought it from had it re painted to match his VW camper van annoyingly. He put some Columbia fenders on it that are almost a perfect colour match but they will be replaced one day. Im hoping to find a tank and then base the bike around that as I want it to look old/rusty not restored and shiny

I also notice that your chain guard attaches to the back of the frame? I cant see a hole in my frame unless is was filled in when it was re painted?

Good idea, I haven't actually checked for the original colour. The guy I bought it from had it re painted to match his VW camper van annoyingly. He put some Columbia fenders on it that are almost a perfect colour match but they will be replaced one day. Im hoping to find a tank and then base the bike around that as I want it to look old/rusty not restored and shiny

I also notice that your chain guard attaches to the back of the frame? I cant see a hole in my frame unless is was filled in when it was re painted?
There are at least 4 different original guard options for your bike that I can think of and its possible this guard is O.E.

Back