When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help i.d. my new project? Schwinn or Mead?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Kevauxtonic

Look Ma, No Hands!
https://flic.kr/p/EgNNas https://flic.kr/p/CL4yAF [URL]https://flic.kr/p/214e2f2 [/URL]I bid on this sucker, after watching it go to auction twice, or maybe once and one time ‘buy it now’. https://flic.kr/p/22mktnC, https://flic.kr/p/22pyjdv, I honestly dont win auctions often, and somehow lucked out and beat all other bidders with my original bid (I won by $8.00)!!
So im still waiting for it to make its voyage down the long, long road from Cerritos, CA. to my front door in Bakersfield, CA. (3 hour drive at most, i think). Fingers crossed it arrives by the 24th so i have a gift to open with the family? In the meantime, can anyone tell me exactly what kind of frame/ and fork as the base for my whizzer project? On the listing, the seller said “schwinn? Mead? Unknown maker?”, but I wanted to say its not a Mead-because the steering tube has vertical holes tapped for the badge screws, and Mead-(at least the examples i looked at)-had a badge that was tapped into the tube horizontally. Poor way to identify, im sure, but that was my start. So i found similar bikes in my “OOP” vintage schwinn books that were almost DEAD ringers, except for one feature: the bars running from the seat tube, down to the rear dropouts, are arched a bit on my frame, and the closest I found was a Schwinn B-9/ B-10 (cant remember if its a “double diamond”), except the bars on the B-9 or B-10 seemed to be straight as all hell, & seemed to form TWO DIAMOND SHAPES on either side of the seat tube? So the plot thickens....
The forks: I dont even know where to begin, but I think this was the typical deluxe fork before Arnold Schwinn patented the much loved springer in (39??)..or thereabouts?? In all of my 25+ years building/ riding/ restoring, i cant say that I ever learned too much or saw many of these type of fork, if ever?? Certainly NEVER with a cycle lock!?
I ran across a listing on ebay for a 37 or 39, straightbar, slightly camel-humped top bar, and the very same lack of a seat tube as mine.

My best guess, AND IM NO EXPERT, is that it is absolutely a prewar Schwinn, due to:
1) the badge holes in steer tube
2) the rear dropouts on a schwinn mean it IS Pre-War, cause they went to the front dropout after production started again after WW2-(im probably off, but this is what i believed to be gospel)
3) the welds are nice and smooth, and done in the typical Schwinn way-compared to my 40’s CWC Hawthorne (the luxury liner/ wes flyer model with the killer springers)-where they seemed to be almost “pressed” or “spot welded” or something? Like you can see that the frame is made from a few separate pieces of tubing electrically welded to one another. Whereas Schwinn frames seemingly looked to be produced with one continuous piece of steel tubing-by some Bastard aligator of a beast who could handle the tubing whilst redhot and bend it like a pretzel, into its final shape! But i know you guys will know what the differences in processes were, with the different companies producing bikes at this time?
4) the forks i saw on the B-9 and B-10 were dead ringers for the ones on mine, (except didnt have a possible semi- gnarly couple degree bend backwards in them like mine do)
https://flic.kr/p/22pyfLv, https://flic.kr/p/21jjaGG
Thats where Im at. Sorry for the long-winded questions/ answers...i just want to be as thorough as possible and provide everything ive found out thus far, & comparisons made.
Any, and ALL help is welcomed with OPEN ARMS!!! if anyone can tell me where i can take the forks to get the broken key removed, and rekeyed, Id appreciate it immensely as well!! Thank you fellow CABE members for such an amazing site like this-where those of us who grew up during the era when these were new-can ‘chew the fat’ with those of us who did not-where mutual respect is given, and much needed info (and sometimes parts and trade secrets) can be shared with one another without labeling the newbies as “poseurs”, or “wanna be’s”. I love this site, and am proud to be a part of it again.⚒⚒⚒

New to CABE, and got a bit talkative after taking a xanax the other night. No replies, so id like to start over. Thank you!

Kevauxtonic

Welcome. Post a pic of your bike here in the thread. The Flickr links require a login.
Wes Pinchot can help you out with the broken key and replacement.

Member Wes Pinchot can help with the fork lock.lack of response probably has to do with a lack of pictures.try posting up some good pics and you'll get some help.welcome and good luck.

New to CABE, and got a bit talkative after taking a xanax the other night. No replies, so i.d. like to start over. Thank you!

Kevauxtonic

40f8c11b1bd40f8ce4e9f7f62387ee18.jpg
9bc0f1f8ca93c318bd76b076cfcd1c67.jpg
d51d8939cc7ab4462af23374ed84aa16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Wes Pinchot can help with the fork lock.lack of response probably has to do with a lack of pictures.try posting up some good pics and you'll get some help.welcome and good luck.

Thank you so much for the reply! Never have i felt more welcomed among a new group-EVER...! many thanks for the info on the lock, and for the encouragement as well! I posted a couple of photos, and in the process of posting more.

Welcome. Post a pic of your bike here in the thread. The Flickr links require a login.
Wes Pinchot can help you out with the broken key and replacement.

Thank you so much for the broken key info, and for welcoming me amongst the ranks! Ive posted a few pics and am in the process of posting more. It seems that i cant attach more than 2 or 3 pics on here without the app shutting down on me, resulting in a loss of all my pics and text? But im trying my best!

Here's one that showed up here a week ago or so. Big Moe's frame. Has the straight seat stay though.

100_1478-jpg.jpg

20171129_165059_film1-jpg.jpg

Here's one that showed up here a week ago or so. Big Moe's frame. Has the straight seat stay though.

View attachment 725197

View attachment 725198
Oh wow! Thats really different looking! Did it start out with only one top cross-bar (cant think what the proper term is), or did it have two-a second connecting from the steertube, down to the seat-like a panther, or a DX? Do you know what year that frame is? Thank you for the pics!

Back