When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID TOC Pedals Please?

-

Balloonatic

Riding my '39 Silver King 26X
I have a set of pedals that look to be early. Can anyone help me i.d. them and what year (or era) and model bike they go on?

If you have an idea of value that would be helpful too, thanks!

I noticed the center shaft is tapered on these like the backbone on some high-wheelers. It's what makes me think they are TOC.

Are these considered "rat traps"?

Thanks!

Balloonatic O-O

Pedal (1).jpg

Pedal (2).jpg

Pedal (3).jpg

Pedals (4).jpg

They look 1890,s racing pedals to me . Sorry can't help with the make . They sure don't look like they have very much ware. Very nice.

These are certainly very early pedals because they are "nutted" and don't thread directly into the crank arms. I'd say before 1895. I think "rat trap" is a loose term for any open frame pedals with grip teeth and no rubber blocks, so these would count. The tapered center tube reflects the underlying tapered spindle. Because a pedal is supported only on one side, its spindle has to be tapered to distribute the load evenly across the width of the pedal. If the spindle were straight, the load would focus where it attaches to the crank and it would bend there. The tube doesn't have to match the taper, but it's a nice aesthetic touch. They are beautiful pedals.

I think there was a thread here where people posted pages of pedals from early catalogs. You could search for it.

Back