When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help I.D. year and info on this Schwinn "The World"

-
N

nwcudaman

Hi all. Ok, I'll try to keep this short to be polite!

I'm about to pull my hair out on this one. Parts on it point to pre war, others post war. Serial number is too early to nail down with the data base. So I'll give the basics.

Locking forks
New departure rear hub
Front drum
Springer
Head tube badge says "The World"
Tube going down from head tube says what I believe is "World Imperial"
Sprocket looks to be pre war
Front fender has been I.D. as something other than Schwinn
Has glass Schwinn reflector on rear fender
Rear wheel enters from the front and not back like I'd think a post war would.

One guy seems to think it's both. By that he is saying the frame was made AFTER they started production again after the war, but parts were left over from pre war

Colors are

Prime "Blue With white and red pin striping between the blue and white.

I've started cleaning and polishing it up, these pictures were taken as I found it. It's cleaning up fairly well so far. Rear fender I've gotten most of the dings out of now and there was one screw that was wrong so I've replaced that with the correct one now. Long way to go. Also, I need to get a correct master link as the one on it gets stuck and pops when coming off of the rear end. But it's riding nice. Also noted is that the front truss rods are missing. Broken pieces are still in the springer. The key is not the stock one, but works fine. Any info or pics of what this bike looked like when new would be nice. I'm on the fence about restoring it. It kinda looks cool as is now that It's getting cleaned up some. It's near impossible to search for the strut rods, fender and stuff without knowing what I've got. All the searching I've been doing has gotten me only fairly close, but have not been able to nail this one.

Im located in Oregon and would love to talk to someone who knows these old springers. I've spent my life doing Sting Rays, and this is my first springer I've ever had the chance to get my hands on. I'm feeling pretty lucky to have it.

I've also got another old Schwinn with a head tube badge I've not been able to find another like. The badge is made of plastic!. And is an odd shape. I think it's from the 50's if I recall right. It's sitting in the barn waiting for me to decide what to do with it.

Attachments

• The world head badge.jpg
    The world head badge.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 78
  • Schwinn The world.jpg
    Schwinn The world.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 125
Last edited by a moderator:
On a post war frame IF THE SERIAL NUMBERS ARE FOUND UNDER BOTTOM BRACKET
(On The Bottom Of The Frame, Under The Pedal Crank Housing) then its 1948-1952
IF THE SERIAL NUMBERS ARE FOUND ON THE LEFT REAR DROPOUT
(By The Left Rear Axle Mount) then its 1952 and older

post war bikes have the welded on kickstand, welded on brackets for the chainguard
what is the serial number?

Thats what I understand alright. The frame I've been told is a post war frame. Serial number is on the bottom bracket and welded kick stand alright. Any info about the name "The World" or World Imperial? The serial number is B69226

Cool bike to start out with. Springer struts are easy to find. A rack, correct front fender, and tank would be cool. Seat is from the 60's or 70's and not original. Schwinn grips would be nice. Relax and do some research, it is a worthy project.....

Looks like a nice beginning for a B-6. The dropouts are correct postwar style. Before the war, the wheels went in from the back, which was more of a hassle when dealing with the chain. I'd definitely pull the crank to check, but with the drop center rims, I would think that it might date to 46 or 47, just before they switched to the S-2 Rims. All the parts should be easy to find since they're in reproduction, except for the 6 hole rack. But put a phantom rack on and you get a tail light anyway.

Wes

Thanks everyone for the help thus far.
As to the tank and rack, I'm not able to find any marks on the paint to indicate it ever had a tank. Such as fading, wear marks and the like. The rack, hard to say on that given how they mount.
I've heard the term drop center rims, but I'm not clear on exactly what that is. I know what S2 Rims look like from my other bikes, and I know these are not like them. But exactly what does the term refer to on the rim just so I know. I've heard other things like dog leg crank as well.
As to the repro truss rods, I'd rather find a used set as I'm not sure I want a super new looking part on it. I feel it would stand out like crazy and not blend in well so I'll be replacing them with a used set from someone who is doing a full on resto.

By the way, any idea why I'm having such a hard time finding any pictures of this head tube badge and another bike with the words "World Imperial" printed on the lower tube?

Dana

Did you search all the Cabe archives? I would have sworn that I read something about that head badge. There are so many different badges that were put on schwinns, I believe in the hundreds, brass and aluminum, and for different stores that they were sold in.

B69226 could be late 1946 or early 1947.

I have a 1946 B6 with an IXXXXX serial number. I and J is where the pre-war SN's ended. The theory is they used some Pre-war parts early in 1946 and started the SN sequence from AXXXXX.

Does your bike have a Tapered Kickstand? Thats another characteristic of 1946 Schwinn bikes.

Back