When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID bike by unique pedal attachment

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wildeman

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked this up from a fellow CABE member. Since the pedals attach by clamping on I thought that might give it away. At least I have not seen that before. I am hoping someone has.

6CA242B3-A35E-4FE3-AF50-DBCD4A4FC542.jpeg

I will post a picture of the entire bike but I first wanted to hear from people on the pedals. The rest of it might be confusing. As you are well aware people change forks, seats, and yes, even pedals but I think these pedals may be original.

BE7A3562-7866-48AC-949B-FF4512825893 - 3.jpg

Unfortunately I don't think the pedals in question quite fit the description of #4 in the above illustration. Note that the written description says those pedals first screw into the crank, and are then clamped. Wildeman's pedals have no threads at all. But to me their attachment is quite ingenious. It seems the pinch bolt serves as both a clamp and a cotter--making for an extremely secure alternative attachment. Clearly the pedals must be original to the crankset, which I'd bet is original to the bike. But I have never seen this before.

From the other details of the bike I'd guess 1894-1895.

Oh no, that's not a road racer. Fixed gear; track bike. Seriously though, may be worth it to at least research Lindsay for a start.

I can't tell from the head badge photo if the frame has holes aligning with the badge holes, or if the badge holes are just counter sunk. If there are matching frame holes, there could be any number of reasons why the badge was unscrewed and just glued back on. 1895 seems very right for the bike. I'd suggest some solvent and gently prying the badge off to see if there is a "ghost" in the paint. "Road Racer" doesn't exactly describe the bicycle type, but I've seen far odder names.

Back