When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID Frame Find

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

oldy57

Finally riding a big boys bike
I found this frame at a 2 day auction last fall. I went to the Sat auction and bought some stuff. This frame was up on Sunday but I couldn't be there. A friend was there and bought it for me. I was not able to get it till yesterday. I have no idea what it is. The frame is rusty, a few holes in it. The crank still turns as does the bars and fork. The bars have splits from ice in them. They are 8 sided, stem has no bolt, I don't know how it tightens. It is not straight with the fork so it may be able to be loosened. The crank is also rusty, cannot find any makers marks, I don't want to clean anything. The frame has a few dents and has a lot of pitting and a spot or 2 rusted through. The stays and fork are very narrow, both spaced about 2 3/4". The top stay has a nut that must adjust something or maybe it is to tighten the seat post as it has no bolt to tighten it.
Does anyone know what this frame is.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/105975074@N02/sets/72157640613798213/

I've seen that chainring somewhere in my archive...I'll look for it. Mean time here's the one piece handlebar.
ScreenShot20131008at55513PMpng-1.jpg
[/URL]

frame ID

The chain ring is not an orient. The rear dropouts are the same as on a "Butler" by Adams Cycle Company Chicago Illinois. That is the only bike on which I have ever seen these drop outs, but the Butler has hexagonal and octagonal drawn frame tubes. The chain ring and bottom bracket are also different. It is likely an 1890's frame. Hope this helps.
Rob

The good news: I found the (patented 1898) chainring.

The bad news: your bike is the sum of many (non proprietary) parts, maybe impossible to ID?

TOCCrank-1.jpg

Dropoutpng-1.jpg

Thanks for the info on the parts. The bars look the same but mine has an octagonal shape stem where the bars were inserted, could be a change when the maker went to make them. Maybe when I get the bars out it will have the makers mark. Probably will be too rusted to see. The dropouts are the same as your pic. The chainring is the same. This frame could have been made for a bike shop and used the designs you show in the pics.

Back