When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID Hawthorne

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

kynikos

On Training Wheels
Hi all, I picked up this Hawthorne frame a few years ago and would like to build it up into a cruiser to take my daughter on rides. I'm not looking to do a full restoration but could use some help figuring out what it is and what parts would work. The headbadge says Hawthorne Montgomery Ward and I believe the serial number is 35EH. Rough measurements indicate headtube inner diameter of 33mm, seat tube ID of 22mm/OD of 25mm, and rear axle spacing of 123mm. It did not come with a fork or anything else so I'm trying to find one that fits. I have a Sugino ashtabula 24TPI crank with bottom bracket, which I think will work. I'm guessing I'd need a 7/8" / 22.2mm seatpost and 25.4mm clamp going by my measurements. As for a headset, I'm thinking something like a 1" threaded Tange MX-2 headset with 32.7mm cups and 26.4mm crown would hopefully work going by the 33mm measurement. In terms of the stem and fork, I feel a bit lost. I have an old BMX-style 21.15mm quill stem I'd like to use but can't really make sense of what fork I'd need. Any help would be much appreciated! Please see reference photos below.

1953 — most common parts should fit, perhaps with an exception of the seat post.
Snyder may have used an odd 27/32” or 0.84” or 21.4mm post. So more modern 7/8” is too big; and older standard 13/16” is too small.
The fixed cone size would depend on the fork, as would the stem size; Wald makes a shim (# 905?) if needed.

Last edited:
Back