When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID Manta Ray?l

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Arched seat stays?
Screenshot_20220419-100121.png

Notice they call the arched top tube of the frame "camel back" in the catalog. The bars that attach from the seat tube to the axle are called seat stays. Arched top tubes came on other 10 speed bikes but only the Stingrays of that era had that single top tube coupled with arched seat stays. The non Stingray models had straight seat stays.

Here's an example from the catalog of the seat your bike needs too. Unfortunately they cost more than the bike most of the time.
Screenshot_20220419-100512.png

5 speed guard VS Coaster guard...
images (15).jpeg

vintage-schwinn-manta-ray-bicycle_1_1073ca1897e3737f47f48f9cb0f04f63.jpg

Also note the coaster bike has the small mag 1/8" sprocket where the 5 speed has the large mag with 3/32" teeth.

I've been thinking of building 2 sets of wheels for mine since it came missing the wheels and seat. I've got 36h center stamped S5s that will probably get the automatic 2speed and 28h S6s that will get a regular coaster hub. I'm still looking for info to see when S5 rims stopped being used, I keep finding early 72 and prior examples though. Sorry, tmi there. Ha

The OP's bike has the serial number on the head tube. Numbers were moved from the dropout to the headtube in 1972. Coaster brake was an option in 72.
I understood the numbers were moved from the dropout to the headtube around April 1970. Anyone can confirm or correct?

Sorry, the last post I made has pictures stolen from the internet...while trying to find a good shot of the star on the coaster brake model chainguard, I missed the detail of the rear bracket with that green one. Here's my guard, notice the shorter offset bracket at the rear. The Orange one in my above post shows the taller bracket required for the 5 speed freewheel clearance.
IMG_20220419_1217313.jpg

I understood the numbers were moved from the dropout to the headtube around April 1970. Anyone can confirm or correct?
It was May of 70 when they went to the head tube.

MAY, ---- EF*****

Those two serial number pictures I posted of the drop out and head tube were from one bike, a Twinn that was built with a stamped drop out and a stamped head tube.... What more do you need to confirm when this took place? 🥺

It was May of 70 when they went to the head tube.

MAY, ---- EF*****

Those two serial number pictures I posted of the drop out and head tube were from one bike, a Twinn that was built with a stamped drop out and a stamped head tube.... What more do you need to confirm when this took place? 🥺
No need to be rude, man. I was replying to a member who was thinking the break off year was 1972. I knew that to be in error.

I knew it was Spring of 1970. I had the wrong month, but I am sure some website with Schwinn Date code info said April so if it was May that is fine.

People used to think 1969 was the break off date, but that was confirmed to be in error. I guess technically that could me more accurate though since a couple members here make a point of reminding everyone that the frames are stamped, but not used until (varying amounts of time) later dates.

It never ceases to amaze me how much information is in error pertaining to Schwinn. Accepted information two years ago is now misinformation.

Who knows what accepted information will be misinformation tomorrow?
Rob

No need to be rude, man. I was replying to a member who was thinking the break off year was 1972. I knew that to be in error.

I knew it was Spring of 1970. I had the wrong month, but I am sure some website with Schwinn Date code info said April so if it was May that is fine.

People used to think 1969 was the break off date, but that was confirmed to be in error. I guess technically that could me more accurate though since a couple members here make a point of reminding everyone that the frames are stamped, but not used until (varying amounts of time) later dates.

It never ceases to amaze me how much information is in error pertaining to Schwinn. Accepted information two years ago is now misinformation.

Who knows what accepted information will be misinformation tomorrow?
Rob

The myth that the Schwinn frames were stamped when they were built has been going on for decades, and that myth is still being spread. Other manufactures had different practices, but Schwinn started stamping the serial numbers before the frame was built probably close to a 100 years ago. The Paramounts are a different story. One of the owners of the Schwinnbikeforum is still spreading this misinformation to all the members so the rumor continues to be spread.

Trying to research this, I noticed Dave Strombergers posts on Schwinn Serial Numbers 1970-1982 doesnt specify when the numbers went to the head tube, only that it happened in 1970

In searchng further I found two other websites that are obviously wrong. One was the one our member found that said the number moved in 1972. NOTE AGAIN THAT I KNOW THAT I KNOW THIS TO BE WRONG.

The other one, Sheldon Browns site says the number moved in 1965, which was the first year for the new serial number format but not the first year for the numbers on the headtube.
That site being so far off is a surprise, since he is recognized as an expert in most things bicycle.

View attachment 1609638

Notice they call the arched top tube of the frame "camel back" in the catalog. The bars that attach from the seat tube to the axle are called seat stays. Arched top tubes came on other 10 speed bikes but only the Stingrays of that era had that single top tube coupled with arched seat stays. The non Stingray models had straight seat stays.

Here's an example from the catalog of the seat your bike needs too. Unfortunately they cost more than the bike most of the time. View attachment 1609639

5 speed guard VS Coaster guard...View attachment 1609640

View attachment 1609641
Also note the coaster bike has the small mag 1/8" sprocket where the 5 speed has the large mag with 3/32" teeth.

I've been thinking of building 2 sets of wheels for mine since it came missing the wheels and seat. I've got 36h center stamped S5s that will probably get the automatic 2speed and 28h S6s that will get a regular coaster hub. I'm still looking for info to see when S5 rims stopped being used, I keep finding early 72 and prior examples though. Sorry, tmi there. Ha
Great information. My frame is a 12/71 build

I noticed the front and rear wheels are different. Guessing one is S5 and one is S6. Think I read it’s supposed to be S5 somewhere. Does anyone know which is right?

11384DAA-3203-450F-96F4-BE39A823B764.jpeg

As far as I know, the rear S5 with the hump in the middle is original to that era bike. It's an early bendix 70 hub too. The 70 stamp isn't a precise year either, just a model per-se that ran on bikes from late 69 to late 75 when it became the Bendix 76 model. Somewhere in that range the machining on the shell changed from having diagonal knurling like yours to smooth continuous rings.
I can't tell for sure on the front hub, but looks to be aluminum? If it is there will be a date stamp, "MADE IN FRANCE 4-73" or something pretty close.

Back