When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID this TOC “Red Arrows” Roadster Bicycle

-

dperry

Look Ma, No Hands!
Thanks to CABE for helping solve many projects!
I've been refurbishing this TOC “Red Arrows” roadster bicycle.

The curved top tube and fork crown stand out, along with crank set, wheels and fenders.
I call it "Red Arrows" because the head badge is missing and doubt that arrow decals are original.

red-arrows-FM-bdg.JPG

Serial # 578280 (right seat tube top).
Frame size: 18 inch (BB center to ST top); 21-1/2 inch (center to center).
Tube sizes: top tube, seat tube, down tube 1 inch diameter; head tube 1-15/32 inch;
BB shell 1-3/4 inch; fork steerer tube reinforced 1-1/16 inch; seat post 13/16 inch.
Fork tips with round holes, 90mm OLD; rear track-style ends with adjusting screws; 112mm OLD.

red-arrow-RSF-rv.JPG

Frame markings: “G” (BB shell); “D” (steerer tube base); “99” or “66” (right rear dropout).
Note the head tube has three screw holes for a missing headbadge.
Head tube decal: spread eagle on classical architecture with globe, shield crest, missing logo.
Seat tube decal: bike shop crest shape (slightly off-center) “…’s” “C...ORKS” CYCLEWORKS?
Arrow decals: pointing rearward on both sides of top tube and down tube; pointing down on fork blades.

red-arrow-RS-CR-14.JPG

Crankset: Unknown two-piece crankset, with triangular taper axle, 7-inch crank arms, 26-tooth inch-pitch chainwheel with cut-out 5-star pattern; bottom bracket with press-in bearing cups 1-9/16” outside diameter; Star USA #46 retainer bearings with 8 x 5/16” balls.

Wheels: 28 x 1-1/2 inch wood core steel clad tubular tire rims, 33.5mm width; 36 Torrington spokes, double butted (2.0-1.6-2.0), cross 4 pattern; New Departure hubs, front and rear Model D coaster brake with 10-tooth inch-pitch sprocket and lockring. Tires not included.

Fenders: matching red front and rear with ribbed shape and flat braces fitted at hub axle.

red-arrow-RS-hur.JPG

red-arrows-bike-stdc1.JPG

red-arrow-RS-whf.JPG

Thanks.
I'll be looking for specs and pictures of this c.1937-38 model to go further.

Back