When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID this Zebra road bike?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

John D. Williams

Finally riding a big boys bike
I've seen a couple of mentions on CABE about people selling these. Not sure of the year or model name. 24 pounds, mix of Suntour, DiaCompe, Sugino, Shimano components. Any info is appreciated- I've looked a lot on the web.

DSCN7976.JPG

IMG_0763.jpg

most certainly early-mid 80s(82-86) Japanese. Probably constructed of Tange or Tange 2 tubing. Nice sloped crown fork(fork would probably date it in the later part of timeline). It's a nice frame, typical of Japanese stuff from the time which in general greatly improved the quality of an off-the-rack bike. The mix of parts may have happened over the years, or could be original as a way to keep the price point down.

I see now in one of the pics what seems like a sticker for Ishiwata tubing. Maybe their "quadruple butted" but that might have come a little later.

Last edited:
aero brake hoods are another thing that puts it later in the timeline. What is the rear derailleur?

Suntour Cyclone both derailleurs and shifters, 13-21 6 speed freewheel. DiaCompe 400 brakes with Shimano levers. Sugino pedals and crank. Selle Italia Mundialita saddle. Araya rims with LePree hubs. Ishiwata 022 tubing. I was told an '84, but curious as to the model. I cannot read the top tube decal. Hopefully someone recognizes this.

Sorry, can't help with model. I raced on a bike with Cyclone for a while--good stuff. looks like the paint is missing from the rear der. would have been black or blue--blue is "rare". good luck on ID

I guess I can help. model OM4. here is a 1984 buyer's guide from Bicycling Magazine. It is the only model listed that had cyclone. $365

Thank you. That's a clue but not the bike. Your ad has mention of aero rims and the peculiar aero shifters; mine does not have these. So on one hand, I think mine is earlier... but... yours mentions Zebrakenko, and I thought Zebra came after. There is another bike like mine on Ebay with same components, so I think mine is mostly stock, except perhaps for the freewheel.

Indeed, I saw the shifters listed as " top mount" and thought they meant up by the stem which I wrote off as a mistake, good for you for recognizing they meant those short -lived aero things. I also saw the aero reference to the rims(these would have been a very shallow V rim--not like aero rims to come) but didn't go back and check your pics. The aero rim thing stuck out to me because I was starting to believe that the top tube sticker might have said "Criterium" and such rims wouldn't make sense (really, any clinchers might be second choice on a crit. specific bike). Now, I'm not so convinced that the decal looks like criterium. Glad you posted this--I spent roughly 78--86 on top of a road bike. I started out on Italian bikes (and a Spanish) and became a convert to Japanese--thought I knew most of them and yet never heard of Zebra(kenko), It appears that if you were active in cycling in the East the brand would have been known to you. Now, I officially throw in the towel.

Back