When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identify our Huffy?

-

aleone

On Training Wheels
Hi! I unexpectedly found this Huffy at an Estate sale and have scoured the internet trying to find one similar and haven’t had much luck. Is there anyone out there that can help me identify what it is and when it is from? We’d like to have it appraised but am unsure how to go about doing it. We’d also like to try to restore it while keeping as much of it as originally intact as possible. If anyone has any tidbits of advice we would greatly appreciate your input! We’re really excited to have found this bike and look forward to hearing from this community. Thank you.

EFF46B99-FC0D-44B5-BDE8-16BAF93130D4.jpeg

B4805B28-CD83-4512-B8F6-542AC1EA8EB9.jpeg

F8164501-729C-4CF1-B5A6-4BC17DAFD952.jpeg

0F310C9F-5DF3-4B65-BC01-B6A619C9718E.jpeg

11070C1D-F03D-4AB2-BFC6-DC55243CE0F7.jpeg

57769CA7-DE4C-4639-B5C3-50A04C9C72A2.jpeg

25AAFBE1-011F-49CE-87C1-D4EF42DD9187.jpeg

7DD9CA6C-681E-4B6D-8C82-282DE21F7D9A.jpeg

Some info..
The light in the front says Delta Electronic Company in Indiana.
The brake says New Departure Model D
The tires are Special IRC Balloon Tyres

Questions..
Is there a place on the frame where I should be able to find the serial number?
My partner wants to clean it up, but I told him in order to keep the patina we should leave it alone. Is there a way to clean it or wipe it down without harming it? Basically what are our first steps in taking care of this bicycle?
Alternatively, could we, possibly decide to have it restore by having it sanded and given a new pain job and new tires?
Basically we just picked it up and would really like to move forward with the project of fixing it up. If anyone has any suggestions we’d be so grateful. Thanks!

Also does anyone know what the red tape is for/from? Is it just reflector tape that was popular during that time period? Also what time period does anyone think it’s from?

It is a mid 50s Huffy. The "Huffy" badge means no older than 1953. The prewar-type rear frame fork design, which Huffy stuck with way into the postwar era means it is no later that 1957-58.

Reflective tape is found on a lot of bikes, added later by owners, I dont like it much but your mileage may vary.

It is a mid 50s Huffy. The "Huffy" badge means no older than 1953. The prewar-type rear frame fork design, which Huffy stuck with way into the postwar era means it is no later that 1957-58.

Reflective tape is found on a lot of bikes, added later by owners, I dont like it much but your mileage may vary.
Oh awesome thank you so much for this information!! Just out of curiousity, what would you do with this bike?

Congrats on your find and welcome to the group. Your bike will clean up nice needs some new tires, tubes, grease, and oil if you plan on riding. I wouldn't bother trying to restore, not worth it.

Sean

You can also post under the Wanted section for the light top or even a complete replacement. Reflective tape was common just look up cleaning on here it's been addressed many times on here. Replacement tires are pretty easy to get 26x2.125.

Last edited:
I don't really know how to comment on the patina issue. Some like them crusty. That looks to me like there's some paint left and you might be able to do an oxalic acid bath on the painted parts and get a lot of the color back if you want.

There is not much collector value to these, if any. Me? I would clean it up carefully, tear it down and grease everything, and make it rideable. Don't paint it though. The serial on this bike will tell you the year. Please post a picture of the serial number. It is under the crank in 1953, probably on the rear fork next to the rear axle from 1954 on, but I am not sure exactly when they moved it.

Is it a 24" or a 26"?

Here is a thread where I am fixing a similar bike that was definitely not worth fixing LOL!

P.S. Don't let that scare you. Judging from the pictures yours is in very good shape.

Last edited:
Back