When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identify This Clicking Noise Please

-
Update: new repairman has had my bike since feb. 5th and has discovered quite a lot of issues that he is now trying to fix including a bent frame. Also - one link from chain was removed. Rear rim, which was recently serviced by the bike builder - (he put coaster brake hub in and new spokes) - needed dishing. But the main issue was the drop out tubes - one is obviously bent out, probably from improper installation of 3 speed hub that was also faulty. That’s why it was replaced. Bike is still in shop - they have the proper frame shaping device.

This is along shot, but is there any chance it's the saddle? Sometimes a saddle will click as it flexes on its springs.

I agree with the other thoughts about the chain hitting something. I've had strange noises appear after a bike is "warmed up". Sometimes that's because I've actually warmed up and am putting a bit more power through the drivetrain.

Update: new repairman has had my bike since feb. 5th and has discovered quite a lot of issues that he is now trying to fix including a bent frame. Also - one link from chain was removed. Rear rim, which was recently serviced by the bike builder - (he put coaster brake hub in and new spokes) - needed dishing. But the main issue was the drop out tubes - one is obviously bent out, probably from improper installation of 3 speed hub that was also faulty. That’s why it was replaced. Bike is still in shop - they have the proper frame shaping device.
That is a bummer but at least it is getting taken care of. Good luck post pics when you get it back

Look at chain carefully while spinning the crank by hand

Crack in a bottom bracket cup ? Degrease and inspect with very bright light.

Swapping to a new chain would quickly rule out a stiff link (I've seen that with skiptooth chains).

Also, rebuildable pedals that are missing the lock washer will tighten and make a similar noise. Swapping the pedals for another set will rule that out.

Just start replacing parts to rule each out.

Update on Clicking Noise -
It was the rear hub ring not laying flat!!

0665B7B7-0878-47C2-8495-8A9E5DA6A49E.jpeg

B0FF3E53-C49E-486F-9591-AA917BA10FC1.jpeg

Back