When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identify This Clicking Noise Please

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I think what needs replacing here is your mechanic.

if it were in the crank it would be consistent with your pedaling and it is not. vintage bikes are simple machines and troubleshooting that noise should not be difficult at all.
tough to say w/o being there but sounds to me like the master link (wider than the others) might be smacking something then another something every time it comes around
I'm curious of any changes prior like new driveline components, adjustments to bike, or is this shake down of new build. Sounds like a chain / sprocket issue. When my singlespeed chainline was off, I did get intermittent pop sound will pedaling. The rider weight and other torsion factors into things not detected on workstand. Process of elimination as all the above.
Maybe or maybe not. My diy method of checking chainline alignment is this. Use nonwarped wood yardstick (metal ones too flimsy), lay flat level on front sprocket face and lower other end yardstick down towards rear cog, it should come down onto rear cog with 0 ± 1 or 2 mm gap.

Pic yardstick flush level on front sprocket face:
View attachment 1560885

Pic yardstick flush with rear cog:
View attachment 1560886
Wow! Thank you J-Wagon!!
Especially for adding photos. Seriously, that was so cool of you. I so appreciate your time. 😘
P.S. This is indeed a new Stingray build with mostly 70’s original parts.

Last edited:
It is actually very consistent with my pedaling and has a distinct and predictable pattern. Although I am starting to think it is the rear hub. Thank you for your reply and I don’t disagree with all of it. 😉
I must have been watching a different video. good luck.

With the consistency of riding event, rear hub would have been my 1st target. I'd pull it clean and check for warn or broken parts.

Ive had times when everything appear tight and aligned and clearing the chainguard on the workstand , yet under pedal interference occurs. most often its a slip in left axle nut under the force of pedal.

look at the clearance closely on the workstand as fast as you can hand pedal , id bet its the guard. If not match up the crank clock position to the sound: watch the video and match the sound to the " oClock position " at which the sound occurs. with the chain off observe the crank while turning for change in height ( out of round ) or side to side wobble. if you see this , something is wrong with the repack , or chain ring is loose respectively.

Good luck ! its always frustrating to go back/ revisit things already sorted , but you will find it.

I looked at one of my Corvette 5 speeds the other night and was surprised to see how close the teeth on the chain ring are to the bottom of the guard. These guards have a bent over tab on the bottom for supporting and the teeth were 3/32" if that from hitting that bent in support tab.

In your video the noise is not a clicking noise, it's a clink clank.......clink clank. The guard has two support arms going to the mounting tab on the BB. The timing of the clink clank is in tune with the spacing on those support arms. How close is the chain/sprocket to those guard supports?

Back