When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identify This Clicking Noise Please

-
I had an old bike that had ground a groove on one side of the bearing cup. It wasn't easy to see unless everything was apart and clean. After re- greaseing twice it sounded and felt like a little scrape. But it only started after the bike was ridden for a few minutes....
Also have had loose pedal axle tubes that didn't feel loose but stressed and clicked on rotation but only sometimes.

I have some hearing problems with the video; perhaps if the clicking noise was better described?
Was it like a “click, click, click” noise, or a “click-clack, click-clack” or a “clickety-clack, clickety-clack” noise or similar?

I had an old bike that had ground a groove on one side of the bearing cup. It wasn't easy to see unless everything was apart and clean. After re- greaseing twice it sounded and felt like a little scrape. But it only started after the bike was ridden for a few minutes....
Also have had loose pedal axle tubes that didn't feel loose but stressed and clicked on rotation but only sometimes.
I have since discovered there is also a little scrape sound/drag happening that seems to be from the rear hub.

This is along shot, but is there any chance it's the saddle? Sometimes a saddle will click as it flexes on its springs.

I agree with the other thoughts about the chain hitting something. I've had strange noises appear after a bike is "warmed up". Sometimes that's because I've actually warmed up and am putting a bit more power through the drivetrain.

Regrettably, the last time I had a clicking sound, 6-7 years ago, I'd just brought home a Cruiser four. It was like new, as good as it gets especially at seller's ask price; 75 bucks. I'd planned to part it out so, was pretty ecstatic about that deal. When retuned home, took it out for a spin, up and back down my street. It started clicking.

"No- worries, loose chain, or like new but dried chain or4-speed Nexus needs a lube??? It'll work it's self out in a few, I don't need the chain or can easily lube whatever it is, anyway. " I thought. After the 1st trial, took a good look then saw and realized what happened. And a quick flash-back dashed through my mind:. I had not heard that sound since I was a kid. 'Rushed by the elderly sellers, must have loaded in my Prius by grabbing the chain guard to lay it sideways.'

Nothing like, "Click,,, click,,, click,,, click while scratching a prefect chain guard. Now, don't have the heart to trash it and I'm stuck with minty, nice left-over China frame, the guard facing out, hanging on a wall. 🙄 .

Last edited:
Properly tightened ?......you do know that the chain needs some slack right?
If the chain is too tight you can get a noise like that . Also if the chain is too dry .

Extreme cold weather causes the grease in a hub to stop lubricating. I've gotten 3 complaints within a week of rear coaster brake hubs not working because they are get too cold. Just a thought.

Back