When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identify

-
Yes rare if a Shelby. @dave the wave spotted a very Shelby-like characteristic used on most all their bikes, including the pre-Shelby Cycle Co frames 1923 through 1925. The oversized/straight upper seat stay fender bridge. A fat rolled tube mitered & brazed to the stays. Brian, can you take a pic of the bottom of this upper seat stay fender bridge to see if there is a straight rolled/butted joint visible on the bottom? Also, look for a small welding "weep hole" on the bottom of the lower top tube near the down tube. If it is there, take a photo. The 1923-25 Shelby Frame Builders bikes did not sport the flat-sided headset cups that I know of. These came after 25. Not sure these on the OP bike are "flat sided". That badge and rivets sure look untouched to me, but others makers badged "Speedways"? And those truss rods with the bend at the axle hole and early crown/truss support design appear shelby-like but the sprocket no so much...Other Shelby affectionados? @slick @cds2323 @redline1968 @hoofhearted
Good morning! Was about to get some pictures of those spots after a little steel wool clean up. The first is the tube and impressions on the rear seat stay, the the second shows that weep hole that you mentioned at the end of the lower top tube by the down tube. What are your thoughts regarding it being a Shelby and the appropriate year?

IMG_20220625_091254489_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220625_092841864_HDR-01.jpeg

That seat stay bridge certainly seals the deal for me. All Shelby Cycle Co's frames have these fat bridges w/underside braze tabs through the 30's. My guess is 1925-30 and maybe even earlier for this really cool rare little moto. Best part is it looks to be rather complete.

That seat stay bridge certainly seals the deal for me. All Shelby Cycle Co's frames have these fat bridges w/underside braze tabs through the 30's. My guess is 1925-30 and maybe even earlier for this really cool rare little moto. Best part is it looks to be rather complete.
Wow, that's really great news, very happy to have it identified! I appreciate all of your input and the input of everyone else that commented! I am wondering now, what is about this one that makes it rare? Or is it just that you don't see them often? And these were made in Ohio starting in 1925, right?

I have a few more questions too...learning a lot here😊
Wondering if this would be a candidate for the oxalic bath that I have been reading about?
Any thoughts on what grips this may have had?
Any sources for a front fender?
And for the chain, what is the type/pitch/etc I should seek?

Grateful for the the help!

here is a 1929 ad but this bike is 28in.and yours is 26in..if restoring? thats a tuff one because its pitted really bad.the sprocket and crank look to be changed later on in its life because its not consistent with the aging of the rest of the bike.try to google speedway special bike.you could restore it to either red or blue like the ad says.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Back