When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying 1915-1920 Davis?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

RPower

Finally riding a big boys bike
Greetings bike experts. I picked up this bike/build this week and could use some help identifying it. The gentleman I bought it from thought it was a 1915 Sears Chief, but the badge holes (2 inches apart) wouldn't match up, the fenders are wrong, and the gooseneck is too short among other minor items. There is no serial number under the bottom bracket or anywhere else, which is why I am thinking Davis. Any assistance in identifying this project piece is greatly appreciated!! --Ralph

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0127.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Better pics would help especially of dropouts and bottom bracket. Kinda looking Westfield to me but would have serial number underneath the bottom bracket. V/r Shawn

Yes, Excelsior-built Sears Elgin, middle to late 1920’s.

What identifies it? 1) As another has indicated, better pictures.

2) As another has indicated, the head tube, with Sears Elgin head badge outline and screw holes.
3) The Excelsior style forks (yoke-top) truss rod (tubes) assembly.
4) The later date may be inferred from features seen later rather than earlier:
a) Use of screw fasteners on the badge (versus button hole badge);
b) Lower termination of truss rods at the axle (not above), as was seen on later forks with 2 separate truss rods (hollow tubes).

Last edited:
Thank you all for the feedback! I can send more pics but if there is consensus on the make and time approximating, we can leave it there. Curious as to what identifies it? I have the wheels and they are in decent shape. I’m going to build it regardless because it’s cool, but is it worth anything if I can find crank and restore it to original?

Thank you all for the feedback!
I have the wheels and they are in decent shape.
I’m going to build it regardless because it’s cool, but is it worth anything if I can find crank and restore it to original?
Yes, it will be worth something if restored to original; but worth less than the actual costs of doing so.

Even if merely refurbished, with a mix of old and new parts, and work on the finish paint, the resulting cool bicycle might not even be worth those costs.

Many motorbikes like yours are refurbished with modern tires/wheels, for a cool factor.

So, since the Sears Chief badge did not fit; any plans for that accessory item?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I am finishing a 38 Colson ladies bike with modern Shimano Nexus 3 speed with skip tooth cog (attached to a NOS 333 twist shifter) and SA drum brake in front. It came to me as a rusty $40 Craigslist frame and I have since found the original snap tank, correct bars/gooseneck, correct crankset, period fenders/rack, Elgin style round chain guard and front rack, and I am up to $850 not including labor. That said, you can ride it in the mountains of Colorado and I started building them as a Covid hobby. I also did a 52 Schwinn e-bike conversion, but not sure how purists feel about that one.

Sorry for the confusion on the Chief badge. I was looking at investing a tidy sum for an original head badge but was saved from that purchase by the kindness of Cabers. Great group with crazy knowledge. Thanks again, --Ralph

Very nice - that is the general idea including original paint scheme. I do have the chainring and battery tube but still need the pump, crank, and appropriate seat. If you know anyone who has a tank for this, let me know. Really appreciate the help! I am attaching a pic of an e bike conversion and would appreciate any feedback. The battery goes on the rear rack, so I went with a chrome repro. I built the first one (Hiawatha Astroliner) for a guy who loves vintage bikes and wanted to ride but just couldn't anymore.

IMG_0089.jpg

Back