When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying 1950’s Monark Frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

motobiker46

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi All,
Trying to get some basic information (year, model, etc.) on this this Monark frame that I bought on eBay almost 10 years ago. I bought it as a project bike but eventually turned my interests to several other pre and post war Columbia bike restorations and never went back to working on this frame. I confess I know very little about Monarks so have no idea whether this frame has any real value or not. I did see picures of the complete bike posted by the previous owner -- I do remember it was a tank model and a nice looking bike -- unfortunately the PO decided to part it out. I believe it was listed as from the late 50’s. The serial number on the underside hub is M300 2037061. I don’t know if there’s enough perceived value in attempting to sell it due to the expense of shipping (even Bike Flights is getting to be super expensive). So at this point, just trying to get some ideas on what my next step should be. I don’t want to just keep it in storage if there may be somebody out there that can put it to good use.
Thanks!
Bob

Monarch-1.jpeg

Monarch-3.jpeg

Monarch-4.jpeg

Monarch-2.jpeg

Monarch-5.jpeg

Monark Rocket! Bottom ID plate has been removed. Don't believe headbadge is original to the bike either.

Thanks for your input, oldfart. Yeah, now I kinda realize that the two holes on the underside hub were intended for the plate rivets. So, was Monark in the habit of doing both, stamping and affixing an ID plate as well? Interesting. Also I thought the headbadge was original but you may be right -- I'll have to see if I can check that out a bit further. Thanks again.

Thanks for your input, oldfart. Yeah, now I kinda realize that the two holes on the underside hub were intended for the plate rivets. So, was Monark in the habit of doing both, stamping and affixing an ID plate as well? Interesting. Also I thought the headbadge was original but you may be right -- I'll have to see if I can check that out a bit further. Thanks again.
I haven't seen one double stamped, maybe the plate fell off, and they transferred the numbers, "Model 300" and the serial.

Yeah, kind of a mystery. But I did find two Monark look-a-likes through a little bit of research. (Red bike is from Dave’s Vintage Bicycles and the Green bike is from the site Rat Rod Bikes. They’re both 1957’s and closely match the bike frame I posted. And it seems like the head badge is probably original to the bike. Also, my theory is that since I believe 1957 was the last year for Monark (before going to Huffy), perhaps they stopped producing serial # tags for the bottom bracket and simply stamped the numbers. Because yeah, I don’t believe they would have done both ID formats.

1957_Monark-RRB.png

1957_Monark_DVB.png

Monark dropped the ID tags, along with their balloon tire line, after 1954. They must have had a couple predrilled BB's in the parts bin then! Most of the '57s were a mishmash of factory parts, including the twin spring springer.

If it fits balloon 2.125" tires it'd make a decent rider or buildable project. Do it up the way you like or pass it along as is/parts for somebody. I love the frames & if if it wasn't for people asking $100+ etc for them + the shipping I'd probably have quite a few Monarks ALL Built differently. They'd look awesome stretched but I can't bring myself to cut the only 1 I have to do so

Hi All,
Trying to get some basic information (year, model, etc.) on this this Monark frame that I bought on eBay almost 10 years ago. I bought it as a project bike but eventually turned my interests to several other pre and post war Columbia bike restorations and never went back to working on this frame. I confess I know very little about Monarks so have no idea whether this frame has any real value or not. I did see picures of the complete bike posted by the previous owner -- I do remember it was a tank model and a nice looking bike -- unfortunately the PO decided to part it out. I believe it was listed as from the late 50’s. The serial number on the underside hub is M300 2037061. I don’t know if there’s enough perceived value in attempting to sell it due to the expense of shipping (even Bike Flights is getting to be super expensive). So at this point, just trying to get some ideas on what my next step should be. I don’t want to just keep it in storage if there may be somebody out there that can put it to good use.
Thanks!
Bob

View attachment 1449092

View attachment 1449093

View attachment 1449094

View attachment 1449095

View attachment 1449096
Would you consider selling the frame? Thanks.. RideOn.. Razin..

Back