When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying A Bike Please

-

SindeAnn

Look Ma, No Hands!
I picked up this bike a couple of days ago because I thought the skip tooth chain might come in handy one day. I'd like to know what the bike is but the head badge is missing. I'm pretty sure the seat and grips are wrong and the truss rods are missing. It's hard to tell in the pics but the fenders are chrome with a lot of surface rust. I would appreciate any help with identifying it. Thanks , Cindy
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Nice bike Cindy, another classic on the cabe!

Question: Did you play Mary Ann on Gilligans Island?

How's Ginger?
Thank you.......I wish I had.....I wouldn't mind being stuck on a tropical island for a while...lol

Last edited:
The rear drop-outs with chain adjusters may make it pre-war; I have forward release drop-outs on my later 1940's Hawthorne & Rollfast, by Snyder.
The waterfall style truss rods might not reach with the bent fork, or did the fork get bent because the decorative truss rods were removed?
I would be leaning towards an earlier Wards Hawthorne, because D.P. Harris hardware (Rollfast) did not pick-up the then-newer design until 1942, and frequently used another system of marking the serial numbers, (by that time). Stamping 14 above the serial number may reflect a 1941 bike, which might not have reached the store until 1942?

The rear drop-outs with chain adjusters may make it pre-war; I have forward release drop-outs on my later 1940's Hawthorne & Rollfast, by Snyder.
The waterfall style truss rods might not reach with the bent fork, or did the fork get bent because the decorative truss rods were removed?
I would be leaning towards an earlier Wards Hawthorne, because D.P. Harris hardware (Rollfast) did not pick-up the then-newer design until 1942, and frequently used another system of marking the serial numbers, (by that time). Stamping 14 above the serial number may reflect a 1941 bike, which might not have reached the store until 1942?
Thank you. I have no idea when the fork got bent. It was like that when I got it a couple of days ago. My plan was to take the pedals, reflector and skip-tooth stuff off in case I needed any of it in the future but I decided to see what I had before I started taking things off. I knew I couldn't go wrong for $10. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Back