When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying a Montgomery Ward "Hawthorne"

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
A google image search of 1941 Hawthorne Comet bikes shows a few images that are indeed very similar to mine.

I'm still interested to learn more about the bike so if anyone has any other clues to it's origin or former life then please feel free to share.

Thanks again for all the help!

T
Remember, with Hawthorne bikes, you can have a total CWC made one, a total Snyder made one, or a half CWC-half Snyder made one.

The only mix CWC/Snyder Hawthorns I know is when CWC came out with a springer first so Wards added them to Snyder built bikes if ordered because Snyder didn't have their own.

Front Snyder, back CWC. You can tell the difference between their frames by the dropouts and CWC have a straight piece to hold rear fender, where Snyder is curved. I have seen this bike, same paint, all CWC. There is some theory that if you lived, again, east of the Mississippi or west, of how they would put bikes together.
If you read the very small print in the catalogs, you could order some interesting combinations.

Front Snyder, back CWC. You can tell the difference between their frames by the dropouts and CWC have a straight piece to hold rear fender, where Snyder is curved. I have seen this bike, same paint, all CWC. There is some theory that if you lived, again, east of the Mississippi or west, of how they would put bikes together.
If you read the very small print in the catalogs, you could order some interesting combinations.View attachment 1105254
Yes, that frame in this picture ^^^ definitely has a CWC frame. We have an early 46 CWC with the same frame. The fork in this men's bike picture above is definitely a Synder fork. The shape of the flat top on that fork, and the metal stacks are just like what's on my 1953 Synder Hawthorne. Since the girl's bike is a 1941 for sure, my thoughts are that the girl's bike was finished using whatever parts they had on hand to complete it before manufacturing was shut down for the war. The rack and fenders are CWC all the way. Either way you look at it, the girl's bike is sweet. :)

I guess there is another possibility here on this girl's bike. In 1942 they had the "Victory 60" models. They did not have tanks or rear racks on them. It is highly possible that someone just added the tank and rack to the Victory 60 bike as seen in these catalog pictures. What do you guys think?

20191203_102726.jpg

20191203_102752.jpg

Back