When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying a Puch?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HerrOtto

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello, can anyone tell me what model and what year this Puch (Made in Austria), single speed, coaster rear brake, rod front brake, 700C/28" rims, is? I am guessing from the style of the reflectors, it is late 70's early 80's. Not sure if the seat is original or not but I like the looks of it. Thank you

Puch.jpg

Puch 1.jpg

Puch 2.jpg

Puch 3.jpg

20230602_125138.jpg

Puch 4.jpg

I believe the saddle was made in Japan, and dates to the same era, more or less, as the rest of the bike.

Hello, can anyone tell me what model and what year this Puch (Made in Austria), single speed, coaster rear brake, rod front brake, 700C/28" rims, is? I am guessing from the style of the reflectors, it is late 70's early 80's. Not sure if the seat is original or not but I like the looks of it. Thank you

At times there may be a date code on the reflectors. Some of my older cars have them my bikes do not have any reflectors). Not sure about that saddle being original, I doubt it; but who knows. The "Waffenrad" originally was tied to an arms manufacturer. Maybe Puch/Steyr co-opted the name in later years to indicate a model. The head badge looks to be circa 70s. Is there any date code on the rear hub or other components?

Last edited:
I'm with @Jesper , check the rear hub. If it's Sachs, there will be a letter/year code. Earlier Steyr hubs had a two digit number for the year.

The rear hub is a "Favorit" brand with no other markings than Favorit on the hub and brake arm.

That's interesting. On the Sears lightweights imported from Austria they went from Steyr hubs to Sachs hubs sometime in the late '60's, but that was for three speeds. You have the first Favorit I've seen, but it's a Czech hub according to Google, so still in the same neighborhood.

I do not see the Waffenrad in the 1981 Katalog. Is it supposed to be in there?

-----

apologies if catalogue a source of confusion

posted because it is the closest to date suggested was able to locate

thought it might provide some backgrund information of interest

---

thanks for sharing this example

most of the Puch/Steyr cycles posted to the forum are from the boom era or earlier

we do not see many post-boom products from this maker

---

rear hub -

front and rear wheel rims appear to be a match so would think hub to be original to cycle

are you able to read any markings on the bicycle's wheel rims?

---

frame -

head lugs: BOCAMA pattern 81/I

seat lug: BOCAMA pattern H

fork crown: NERVEX pattern Nr. 2

chain stay bridge: ESGE plate style

seat stay bridge: ESGE plate style

pump pegs: NERVEX Ref. 845

steerer: may be the manufacturer's proprietary 26.0mm diameter; do not know it they continued its use this late; if steerer 26.0mm then headset will be special size

---

rear rack likely to be a May-Weg, or possibly and ESGE

Back