When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying a Schwinn tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

EXP Jawa

Look Ma, No Hands!
OK, so here's my tale. Last fall, someone I know in a local bike club forwarded to me an email from an aquintance of theirs. This individual had an old Schwinn tandem bike that he was looking to give away. He was moving to NC and didn't want to take it. My friend already had 4 tandems and knew I was into old Schwinns, and thought I'd probably be interested.

I originally thought that I would just be a run of the mill Twinn, but the guy described it as having drum brakes. Not a drum brake, but drum brakes, so I thought it must be older. So, my next guess would be a Town & Country out the '50s or so, which I thought would be pretty cool.

However, when I got there, I found something entirely different. It did have front and rear drums, but it was an entirely different frame than the T&C I'd seen pictures of. For starters, it was a dual-mens frame, not his/hers or double mixte. It had drop bars front and rear. It had three-speed gearing, but through a derailer and freewheel, not an internal hub. Cottered cranks, "AS & Co" rear chainring, eccentric bottom bracket up front, and was finished in very dark green with faded gold double-piping on all sections of the frame tubes, with matching "Schwinn" script on the front top & rear downtube. Oh, and it had an early Paramount-style fork (but in a 1-1/8" size), and the whole thing is under 50 pounds. Along the way, the shifter, derailer, brake levers, bars, and pedals had been replaced. But he had all of the original parts in a box to go with it. All told, it was very different from what I expected. So, of course, I hauled it home; it barely fit in the back of my SUV.

Here are pictures I took the next day in the sunlight:
P1013164-1.jpg

P1013179-1.jpg

P1013176-1.jpg

P1013174-1.jpg

P1013166-1.jpg

P1013168-1.jpg

As near as I can tell, the bike is most closely related to an Paramount or Superior. It has, I believe, a fillet-brazed chromoly frame, accounting for why it isn't 80+ lbs, and the components and paint/trim details seem to be consistant with that.

Other helpful details: the dropouts are forward facing, the bike has what appear to be chainguard mounts for both chains, it has S6 wheels, oh, and the serial number under the BB is X003. My best guess right now is that it's an early Paramount Tandem. Or, if Schwinn wasn't using the Paramount name on tandems yet, then this model would become that. But I've no indication of such a model in the old catalogs. Extensive internet searches have turned up nothing; I've seen a few similar bikes, but none with the same frame. I think that it was made about 1945, based on trying to reconcile the various details and features I've described. But that's just a guess at this point.

So, does anyone here have any light that they can shed on this? thanks.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry I can't help shed any light on it but what a cool bike! Perhaps that serial number and lack of similar models available for comparison lean toward a special order piece? Either way, nice find!

HOLY SMOKES!!!!!! Words can't describe the cool-ness of that thing. I hope that bike is a keeper, for you.

I hope that bike is a keeper, for you.

Oh, yeah, absolutely. I have a hard time letting go of them anyway. Buy quandry now is if I should try to restore the striping, repaint it and have it restriped, or leave the finish as is. There are a lot of large chips and scrapes in the paint, otherwise I wouldn't consider repainting it. But I have a vision of setting it up as a classy touring bike, assuming I find someone that'd ride it with me...

Oh, yeah, absolutely. I have a hard time letting go of them anyway. Buy quandry now is if I should try to restore the striping, repaint it and have it restriped, or leave the finish as is. There are a lot of large chips and scrapes in the paint, otherwise I wouldn't consider repainting it. But I have a vision of setting it up as a classy touring bike, assuming I find someone that'd ride it with me...

I'm of the OCD-type, so I'd have to restore it. Though, the costs might include giving up a kidney. LOL.

Cool find! I know a guy with a 1968 Paramount tandem, that he believes was raced in the Olympics. The frame on his looks close to yours, but his has different rims, tires, chainrings and brakes. I think that your badge, along with the dual drums and A S & Co chainring, dates yours to the '50s decade. I believe that Schwinn also used the head badge you showed on the Town & Country tandems of the '50s. Schwinn definitely built Paramount racing tandems in the '60s and '70s; yours seems like an early version of those, based on the frame, which matches the '68 Paramount I saw in person. I also recall that Paramounts have there own series of serial numbers, with only 3 or 4 digits. Have fun with it!

What a BITCHEN bike!!!!!!!!!

I would say that this is could be late forties, but most likely early fifties.

I had a Superior 3 speed that was very similar. It had a tapered '46 kickstand, so....?

I would clean it carefully, and NOT repaint it.

What parts came in the box need to go back on it, again, carefully.

Period saddles, pedals, bars, shifters, and derailleur need to go back on.

This bike is a museum piece and you are the caretaker of it for now.

Best of luck on it and keep us updated on the rebuild/clean/sort of this lovely historic tandem.

As far as I can tell, the chainring, color and striping all match details shown in the '38 or so catalog for the Superior, but the fork is Paramount in design. I strongly suspect that the 3-speed freewheel was quickly surpassed with 4 and 5-speeds, so that really ought to narrow down the time window. This bike has no kickstand, built-in or otherwise, but I don't see how one could mount behind the rear BB without interfering with the timing chain. I've thought I've come across other examples of the bike before - even with later Paramount tandems. But when I actually compared pictures side by side it became clear that while similar, they were not the same. There are key differences in the stoker frame, seat stays & apparently wheelbase. Would Schwinn have made long and short versions of the Paramount tandem?

In the box of parts, now that I've gone through it, I've got the original bars, an adjustable racing stem that I assume was original, what are likely the original pedals (they match what's shown on the prewar Superior) a pair of sprung mattress saddles that I can't see being used with drop bars to well (and are mismatched - they're similar but not the same), and a bunch of Sturmey Archer parts and Raleigh brake levers and calipers. I didn't find anything that would pass for Schwinn-approved brake levers, derailer or a shifter. The levers on it are Shimano, the derailer a Shimano Tourney and shifters (only one is used) are SunRace stem-mount. Incidentally, the Brooks B15 that's shown on it now resides on my Raleigh Grand Prix; I'd either put the mattress saddles back on or find something appropriate that actually matched.

I guess how I approach this one depends on what I want to do with it. Frankly, I'm not one for restoring a museum piece and letting sit on display or what have you. I've not been here long enough to know how most on this site approach that arguement, but for me, if I can't ride it (and get real use out of), then it's really just taking up space. So while a full blown restoration might be appropriate for some, keeping it original as possible suitable to others, for me, making it practical and useable is most likely the course I'd take. I have the feeling that the previous owner felt the same way. But we'll see. I wouldn't do anything to it that's irreversable, for one thing, just set up to look period-appropriate and be actually useful. But it's sort of a moot point at the moment, I'm not going to get to it for a while...

Last edited:
Good thing that you have the right perspective. Take your time.

I would think that finding two matching Brooks period saddles would be right for it

and those are plentiful...................... It IS a real conversation piece.

Back