When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying a seat

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I bought a mid 50's Schwinn Corvette (yet to be picked up so I'm not sure of the year; the seller says 1956) and this is the seat that's in the pictures that I was sent. I looks similar to the seat shown in the catalog, but it's black instead of tan. There's a statement in the ad stating something about black seats vs. tan seats but the style is the same.

Can anyone tell me if this style seat was original on a 55 or 56 Schwinn Corvette? The pictures that were sent to me did not include a shot of the back of the seat so there's no tag to be seen. Schwinn seat or aftermarket?
Schwinn 1956 Corvette seat.jpg

As I stated above "I've yet to pick it up" so I only have the picture that I posted. (Actually, I cropped the seat from a larger picture.) Here's the ad and the statement about the seat for the '56 Corvette. I've changed the text color where it references the seat color. Is it saying that the seat should be black and there's no bar? Are the grips not as shown?

"1956 Schwinn Corvette
In 1956 the Corvette was already a popular bike, it would become very very popular in a couple years, but this is what was in the 1956 Schwinn catalog.

1956-schwinn-corvette1.jpg

Schwinn Corvette - 3 speed gears
Finest of the new Schwinn Middleweights!
Deluxe equipment includes 3 - speed gears, front and rear handbrakes, stainless steel fenders, whitewall 1.75" Schwinn Tornado tires. Handsome spring-type luggage carrier on 26 inch models only. Available in boys and girls 26 inch and 24 inch models.

Colors: Opalescent red, blue or green- also black enamel.

The above paragraph is a direct quote of the 1956 Schwinn catalog. Collectors and restorers should note a couple things from the image, the seat is leather tan with bar, not black and the handlebar grips are solid color with white lettering."

Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks,
Ed

This seat is for sale on eBay right now. It's a Schwinn seat with 4 rivets along the side.
1549328224171.png

The rivets and spring configuration are the same as the seat I pictured in my original thread. Double rail, two small coils, three larger coils.

1549328305382.png

After I've picked up the bike, I'll post some pictures and try to come up with some kind of positive results.

That catalog image is the 1955 Corvette only. Brown vinyl seat, spring mattress type, and was not used on the 56 or 57 Corvette. The black seat in your picture is probably from some lightweight.

Here's the catalog image for the 1955 Corvette.

In 1955 the Corvette first found itself in a catalog. The 1955 Schwinn Catalog is gorgeous and provides us with great info and images. The Corvette was introduced and had boys and girls models...

1955-schwinn-corvette1.jpg
1955 Schwinn Corvette
Boys 26-inch Model F17
Most luxurious of the new middleweight models, with 3-speed gears, front and rear caliper brakes, stainless steel fenders, chrome headlight, whitewall tires and a handsome spring-type front luggage carrier on 26-inch models. Also available with coaster brake.

1955-corvette-models1.jpg
SPECIFICATIONS
FRAME- Boys middleweight cantilever, girls middleweight.
FORK- Forged, narrow middleweight design.
REAR HUB- 3-Speed or coaster brake.
BRAKES- Front and rear calipers on 3-speed model; coaster brake only on coaster brake models.
CARRIER - Aluminum front carrier, spring-type (26-inch models only).
FENDERS- Stainless steel.
TIRES- Schwinn Tornado, 1.75” whitewall.
RIMS- Schwinn tubular S7, chrome.
COLORS- Opal red, blue or green; also black enamel.

MODELS
Shipping Weight lbs.
BOYS GIRLS SIZE DESCRIPTION BOYS/GIRLS

• F17 F67 26-inch Corvette 3- speed 60 58
  • F27 F77 24-inch Corvette 3- speed 49 1/2 49
  • F13 F77 26-inch Corvette (coaster brake) 59 58
  • F23 F73 24-inch Corvette (coaster brake) 47 1/2 47
I was using this link for pictures and descriptions. They've taken the catalogs and put the different years together by model.

https://bikehistory.org/bikes/corvette/

I'll follow up on this as soon as I have the bike in hand.

As I stated above "I've yet to pick it up" so I only have the picture that I posted. (Actually, I cropped the seat from a larger picture.) Here's the ad and the statement about the seat for the '56 Corvette. I've changed the text color where it references the seat color. Is it saying that the seat should be black and there's no bar? Are the grips not as shown?

"1956 Schwinn Corvette
In 1956 the Corvette was already a popular bike, it would become very very popular in a couple years, but this is what was in the 1956 Schwinn catalog.

View attachment 943515

Schwinn Corvette - 3 speed gears
Finest of the new Schwinn Middleweights!
Deluxe equipment includes 3 - speed gears, front and rear handbrakes, stainless steel fenders, whitewall 1.75" Schwinn Tornado tires. Handsome spring-type luggage carrier on 26 inch models only. Available in boys and girls 26 inch and 24 inch models.

Colors: Opalescent red, blue or green- also black enamel.

The above paragraph is a direct quote of the 1956 Schwinn catalog. Collectors and restorers should note a couple things from the image, the seat is leather tan with bar, not black and the handlebar grips are solid color with white lettering."

Any insights will be appreciated. Thanks,
Ed

Pat said the seat is leather tan with bar, not black.

I've never seen 50's colored grips with Schwinn script in white, just the white grips with the tear drop in the color of the frame.

I guess that I'm reading it the opposite of what you are. To me the author is advising the restorer that in the image the seat is tan leather with a bar and not black as delivered from the factory. Guessing it's time to look at a bunch of Google images.

The way I understand what Pat said, is he is verifying the seat is leather tan in color. And, that seat was not used on the 56 Corvette, only the 55.

1956 Comic image of the 56 Corvette. And note, these don't have the updated 56-57 Style carrier.

1549337870200.png

1957 comic ad.

1549337987547.png

Back