When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying a skip tooth

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
M

mountain

Can anyone help me find out who makes this bike? I am restoring it because it was my fathers in the 50's, it was handed down through the family until it got to him and I just saved it from the barn that is falling down. Any help would be appreciated. It is a skip tooth with New Departure rear hub and it has two small pins in the front that looks like it might have help a plate of some type. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 76
The frame was made by Murray Ohio and was in production between the late 1940?s and the mid 1950?s. Murray sold their bikes branded as Mercury but the largest percentage of their bikes were sold through Sears and badged as J.C. Higgins. Early versions of the bike would have been equipped with a skip-tooth drive line and later variants would have been standard ?? pitch. The bike would have originally had proprietary sheet-metal and the crank sprocket is not original to the bike, it is from a prewar bike produced by Westfield Manufacturing.

Wow, that is impressive. I swear I have looked everywhere to get info on this bike. So it has been put together from some various bikes then. Cool. I am going to make it look as close to original as I can just because it was my fathers bike. I am a restoration purist at heart, I can't help it. So what about fenders, it looks like it may have had some at one point. Any ideas ? And what is proprietary sheet-metal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your frame is the style used to make the JC Higgins Colorflow among others.

I did not know it was a Murray product(Thanks Phil)

If you do a Colorflow search it will give you an idea about what it could have, or even could like like.

Kinda weird, usually you you find a newer crank and wheelset on an older bike. This case was the opposite.

Last edited:
Searching Colorflow is a good suggestion, Some variation of a J.C. Higgins is likely how your bike started life and you should find plenty of pictures of similar bikes.

If you are planning to restore the bike as a tribute to your father there may be more than one ?ideal? to aim for.

If he received the bike brand new then you could go for a replication of the bike as it was brand new from the factory. If your father got the bike second hand with the replacement crankset, or if he is the one who stripped the bike and changed the crank, then it may be more of a tribute to him to replicate the bike as he owned/modified it. If you can find any old family photos of the bike they would be helpful in determining how the bike was set up in the day.

If you choose the restoration to as-new route you should be able to find a serial number stamped in the bottom of the crank hanger. If you post the number someone on this site may be able to pin down the build year for you. One observation I have made regarding the Murray frames like yours is that the early frames have a different seat clamp designed for a smaller diameter solid seat post. On later models the clamp was changed to accept a larger diameter tubular seat post.

If you decide to restore the bike to as-new factory condition you will need to decide what year, model, and color the bike was originally and then acquire all the correct Murray sheet metal to replicate it. There are a lot of variations so determining the original spec. for the bike may be the hardest part of the project. On the bright side there are a lot of Murray bikes and parts available on the internet so getting what you need may add up in dollars but nothing is difficult to find.

If your father built the bike to his taste, you may already have everything you need to build your tribute and all you will need to do is clean up what you have.

Either way, you have the original frame that your father used which is more than many tributes begin with.

Best of luck with the project, and please keep us posted on your progress or let us know if you have more questions as you proceed.

skip tooth JC higgens

So I just typed this long post and it got lost AHHHH So I am just going to post the serial number since I am out of time and hope that someone can help me figure out this old bike.
MUSU
MOD 502 4540

ANy info would be greatly appeciated. Thanks for all of the help so far!

Back