When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

help identifying bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

bud poe

I live for the CABE
Just scored this bike at the Portland Swap Meet, was wondering if anyone knows if Wards Hawthorne ever produced a lightweight frame like this? Haven't investigated the "blackout" New Departure hubs yet, I'm thinking they could've been rattle canned, as well as the skip tooth sprocket. It's got the rear facing dropouts and adjusting screws, I've been told that almost always indicates a pre war frame in ballon tire bikes but don't really know when it comes to lightweight frames. Look at the saddle on that thing, and the bars and grips are cool too...Any info would be appreciated... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QwhHJVf10Sw/S8J3Loi_X8I/AAAAAAAAAGY/QRIQcPthEVk/s1600/IMG_3063.JPG

Just scored this bike at the Portland Swap Meet, was wondering if anyone knows if Wards Hawthorne ever produced a lightweight frame like this? Haven't investigated the "blackout" New Departure hubs yet, I'm thinking they could've been rattle canned, as well as the skip tooth sprocket. It's got the rear facing dropouts and adjusting screws, I've been told that almost always indicates a pre war frame in ballon tire bikes but don't really know when it comes to lightweight frames. Look at the saddle on that thing, and the bars and grips are cool too...Any info would be appreciated... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QwhHJVf10Sw/S8J3Loi_X8I/AAAAAAAAAGY/QRIQcPthEVk/s1600/IMG_3063.JPG

Neat! That's a wartime bike, basic diamond frame, and no chrome. You can usually tell if the hubs have been repainted, because it's probably close to impossible to repaint the white letters stamped into the hub and brake arm perfectly! It looks from the sprocket to be made by Cleveland Welding for Ward's. Great find!

Cool, so you think the Wards Hawthorne badge is correct? I'll post more pics with more details soon. Thanks for the info!

So, I'm sure someone has "restored" this one, definitely some weirdness going on @ the seatpost area. The bars/chainring/hubs appear to have never been chromed, all black but probably blacked again with rattlecan. Any Idea as to it's relative value? I'm thinking I'll set it up with a brooks saddle and some cooler pedals and have a descent little lightweight single speed. I'm stoked on having the skiptooth setup on a roadbike...check the pics and let me know what you guys think...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25188425@N08/?saved=1

That'll look sweet with a brooks! Value wise, maybe $150 since it's been repainted. Lightwieght bikes are iffy because the demand isn't very high, unless it's a Raliegh or Schwinn Breeze.

Yeah, I think so too. I've always wanted an early lightweight, I'm stoked on the blackout components and the skiptooth set-up, cant wait to get the saddle, some different pedals (what pedals should I be looking for anyway?) and some white "skinny" tires...Thanks for your help!

here's the OP's bike:

IMG_3063.jpg

For reference,I have a war-time CWC-built "Fleet Wing" posted here:

And I agree with @Adamtinkerer, yours looks basically the same. I'm curious what your serial number is, if you don't mind. I'm guessing CWC's bike production may have been suspended completely after late 1942, but I don't really know.

Back