When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying Colson tandem bike?

-

Longlegs21

On Training Wheels
Hi all,
I just recently joined to try and learn a little more about an old tandem bicycle my family has. I’ve been helping family sell some items to clear out some space and they decided it may be time to sell an old tandem bike that’s been in the family for decades. I have some good memories of riding it around as a kid but I don’t know much history on it at the moment. It’s a Colson tandem bike, rides pretty well (at least it did 2 years ago) and I’ll be putting new tires on it shortly to test it out again.

I would appreciate any info, insights and/or feedback on the model/year/etc. any of you all may have on it! Also, if possible what would a ballpark price range be for it in its current condition? I can get more pictures if that would help. I have no clue about values for older bikes and would appreciate any input here too! Thanks!

437575BC-5E2E-40A2-9BBB-41EE93B04A01.jpeg
FFDDC6EC-AE19-4BC7-8E4D-6F1E1BAECA9A.jpeg

Welcome to the forum, yours looks like late thirties, early forties from here. There should be a date code stamped underneath one of the bottom brackets, crank housings. If you research this forum you may find some similar bikes that sold recently, I believe there have been a couple. I don't have a ballpark for you unfortunately. Good luck & have fun w/ it.

Peaked fenders and ridge on fork so I would guess 38 or later. Should shine up nicely.

Thanks all for the replies and help! I was able to locate some numbers under the bike. Does this look like the right spot, if so how do I decode/tell what ones are the year code?
Screen Shot 2021-03-05 at 12.17.46 PM.png

The two characters highlighted below tell you the date. Looks like a 9 and not sure of the letter. The 9 = 1939. The letter corresponds with the month. A=January B=February and so on.

Back