When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

richardt2

On Training Wheels
Pick this frame up yesterday and was wondering if someone could help me identify the date and make. Handlebars look to be Torringtons. Thank you

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

Welcome from one Richard to another , some on will have info, i'm sure soon . also post on birds of a feather its the meet and great , so others can meet you...

Welcome.

Looks like it might be a Westfield made bike (the way the bottom bar is wrapped around the saddle stem is an indicator), with a Westfield Military Model type chainring (though not a Military Model frame). Westfield did use these on other models post 1918.

I can't tell if the first letter is a C or a G.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Yes, seems to be Westfield. Another below to compare yours to. See top bar treatment. Miami also made sleeved lug lower top tube connections as did others in the teens/20's, but yours looks to be a Westfield built bike.

Nice pre-Torrington Westfield. You may find threads on this site and forums that Westfield did use particular parts.
The chain ring sprocket and crank are of the double-D drive design, and may have odd size (small) bearing cups and coarse 20-tpi threads.
The headset may use a finer 26-tpi thread, with odd ~31 mm headset cups.
The seat post clamp binder bolt may be of the slotted or notched style.
Recommend keeping the original parts together because newer replacements are not better if they don’t fit.

Last edited:
@Archie Sturmer

Thanks, I didn't know about the pre - post Torrington thing. Please can you tell me when this happened?

Also, I have a 1917 Westfield, and have had no joy getting the correct chain tension adjusting screws that fit in the rear frame dropout. The TPI seems non standard. Is this related to the change? Would you happen to now the correct tpi for a Westfield adjusting screw of this period?

Thanks for your help.

Best Regards,

Adrian

The re-organization was about 1933, coinciding with the introduction of super balloon tires, (and coinciding with the great depression), and the manufacturer of handle bars and pedals became owner of the bicycle company.
Not sure how soon afterward that some of those odd dimension parts became obsolescent.
My oldest Westfield is a 1927-E; so I cannot be more helpful and as I am still learning.

Old model Columbia? Wald parts from a reprinted 1938 Island Supply catalog.

Last edited:
Back