When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying my circa 1900 Motorcycle built out of an old Tandem

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Sorry, couldn`t find the LOVE BUTTON---But I Love it... Fantastic Machine !!! You Lucky Joker... Tell us about how you found it...------Cowboy
I have seen a picture
Bumping this one back to the top...
I have seen a picture of a tandem with a motor from right around 1900 by Patee Mfg , Peoria ,ill
Would like to talk to you about your bike,. [email protected]

I'm back on the hunt for more information on this oddball homebuilt motorcycle project. I did some handiwork on Ms Paint to help clarify exactly what I was hoping you guys may be able to help me with.

I assume this dotted line section began life as a courting tandem? Combination tandem? Is that the correct nomenclature? I assume that this was the front/women's half of one of these tandems just based upon the capped off section of frame tubing just above the pedal hangars, as well as the use of the Fauber eccentric hangar with a fixed rear wheel, assuming that it would have been necessary to adjust the tension on the front chain section.

I realize it's very very little to go off of. I'm hoping that someone might recognize the particular shape of these tubes as they don't seem to have been kinked or bent. My star sprocket has a patent date of 1898 and I think the pedal crank shows 1893? its hard to tell because of corrosion.

My other hope is someone may recognize the shape of the front bicycle fork, which i believe was used to make the upper rear frame section... I havent seen one with a nut on it like this. Is that common? I'm new to antique bicycles.

IMG_7356 to edit.JPG

InkedIMG_7356 .jpg

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2236.JPG

I assume this dotted line section began life as a courting tandem? Combination tandem? Is that the correct nomenclature? I assume that this was the front/women's half of one of these tandems just based upon the capped off section of frame tubing just above the pedal hangars, as well as the use of the Fauber eccentric hangar with a fixed rear wheel, assuming that it would have been necessary to adjust the tension on the front chain section.

Jkoller1,
I'm inclined to agree with bikejunk who stated:
Not seeing how this started as as courting tandem........I am thinking this is built with a series of stock lugs.....

The eccentric crank on this motorbike is required to adjust the chain tension because it has a fixed rear wheel. Eccentric cranks were not necessarily exclusive to tandems alone. Also the capped off lug above the crank is nothing of consequence, I have seen capped off lugs on other bicycles. I'm sure when stock lugs were used to build a frame and a lug could not be found that was exactly perfect for the application a suitable lug would be used and unused end capped off.

In my opinion; Your frame is a work of a skilled frame builder with all those nice curves and joining of tubes. This is not the work of someone repurposing a tandem frame.

Jkoller1,
I'm inclined to agree with bikejunk who stated:

The eccentric crank on this motorbike is required to adjust the chain tension because it has a fixed rear wheel. Eccentric cranks were not necessarily exclusive to tandems alone. Also the capped off lug above the crank is nothing of consequence, I have seen capped off lugs on other bicycles. I'm sure when stock lugs were used to build a frame and a lug could not be found that was exactly perfect for the application a suitable lug would be used and unused end capped off.

In my opinion; Your frame is a work of a skilled frame builder with all those nice curves and joining of tubes. This is not the work of someone repurposing a tandem frame.

Hello jkoller1

I would agree with bikejunk and rambler.

At the time your motor bike was built one could buy all kinds of custom lugs and tubing to create your own design. Many odd machines were tried out.

Here is an unusual tandem that sold at the Copake auction a few years back. Not motorized but well built. Item # 41

http://copakeauction.hibid.com/catalog/22609/april-21--2012-annual-bicycle-auction/?q=tandem

Yeah I belong to that one, really sharp guys. I figured out its made with a set of engine castings that a guy named Harry R Geer in St Louis bought wholesale from Glenn Curtiss and resold as his own engine called the Little Giant.

I would just love to figure out what brand of bicycle the guy started with when he built it. The patent dates on the sprocket are 1898 so I have to figure it's probably 1898-1905 or so?
Looks similar to Fauber crank set

Curtis stuff is priceless. I wonder if the Curtis museum would like to end up with it someday.

i have a rear steer tandem 1890's courting frame it has the exact same faber crank and lug set up dated 1894 pat. the adjustable one is in the front location and the rear wheel is adjustable its original you can call me if you have any questions ? Richard....in so.cal 661 822-5733 pst.

Johnny,I believe there was 1 tandem and possibly 1 early 2 wheel bike that made this happen? I was looking at your pict. today the rear non dropout, was made out of rod heated bent to 65 degree angle then heated again & hammered flat to make the non dropout(both sides) very nicely done ! I can send you pict of the tandem if you want?ccontact me Richard...

oldspoke; thanks for posting auction site above ! item #676 was the same as my tandem , but they did not know the maker either, but helpful Richard....

Back