When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help identifying my Ordinary

-

Chris G

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Hi,

I have what I think is a Singer or Coventry Machinist's Ordinary with a Carter trailing brake and the only reference I can find to this are an advert and museum photograph of a Singer Challenge machine. I have located a makers stamp mark on the seat spring that is very feint but is in the shape of an oval and I can just about see V, N and T which suggests Coventry. No other marks on the headstock area.

Please ignore the nylon washing line mock-up but the handlebar can be twisted to engage the rear brake. Lethal!

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chris

You have identified it. The brake cable should be routed through two eyelets at steering head as close to the axis as possible so that the brake is not activated when you turn the wheel.

Interesting bike. I think that the wheel should be rotated 180 degrees as the pant guard is facing forward. Thanks for sharing !

The V-CC Library in the UK has an 1879 Singer catalogue, amongst other Singer related material.
I see you are in the UK @Chris G, it would be worth your while to join the club I think.
I'm no expert on ordinaries, but there will certainly be someone who can help with advice.
Here's a couple of pages from the catalogue from the library that mention the brake, "over 7,000 in use"......

Here's a link to the V-CC website:

Not sure where you are based in the UK, but there are many active club sections all over, that hope to have organised rides running again this year.
Covid-19 permitting of course.

Good to see more guys from the UK on here.
I'm sure you've already realised what a great site The Cabe is.
No UK forums come close to it in my opinion.
Couldn't do without it.

Good to see more guys from the UK on here.
I'm sure you've already realised what a great site The Cabe is.
No UK forums come close to it in my opinion.
Couldn't do without it.
No; The Cabe has been so useful and I have already had great advice from a number of members who really know their stuff.

Back