When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identifying Shelby Flyer

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

FamousCarz

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the CABE so sorry if I'm not in the right area for this post.
I'm picking up a Shelby Flyer tomorrow.
It's a very nice looking bike and supposedly original paint. Even if not, they seem to have done a nice job on the paint job.
I don't have the serial number but will add it to the post after I pick up the bike.
Any idea of approximate year of manufacture?
Did this style bike ever come with what I believe is called the banana tank?
Thanks in advance for your help!

George

Screenshot_20211009-153608_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20211009-153603_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20211009-153631_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20211009-153649_OfferUp.jpg

Screenshot_20211009-153704_OfferUp.jpg

Reactions: JLF
Most definitely not original paint. I see 50's Shelby fenders, springer fork and possibly the crankset, but not so sure that frame is Shelby
It looks like a 50's CWC(AMF maybe).

I agree with Mike on this one. This is what we call a frankenbike-made from at least a couple different bikes and repainted. V/r Shawn

Hey guys,
So what's the value of a Durante springer (I think) and fenders?
This could well be the bike for next year's Rat Rod Bike Build. ;^)
I like to name my bikes so I dub thee 'Franken Flyer' hahahaha
S/N has a letter 1st, maybe an A then looks like 37613

With the horizontal AMF-CWC rear fork end drop outs (fuzzy hard to see), the frame is likely 1950’s so the serial number suffix might be the best indicator of the date.
Shelby springer was patented 1950-52.
Seems like a 2-projects for 1-price deal, just need a Shelby frame and a CWC springer, both in gloss black.

Last edited:
With the horizontal AMF-CWC rear fork end drop outs (fuzzy hard to see), the frame is likely 1950’s so the serial number suffix might be the best indicator of the date.
Shelby springer was patented 1950-52.
Without sanding off the paint, the best I can make it out is 54 and maybe the letter L.
I tried to get a photo but it is really hard to get it to show up...

@Freqman1, @fordmike65, Frankin bike as mentioned with alot of different brands put together but something doesn't look right about the frame, don't think CWC made a post war dbl bar roaster frame and did Shelby make a longer springer ( how long is the head tube? ), some of the bends on the frame just don't look right, Framkin frame?

565B27D1-ABFA-429D-A4BE-95FD8D081D84.jpeg

Reactions: JLF
I believe that the original poster planned to provide better quality (less dark, less grainy) pictures after pick-up of the bicycle.

I believe that @mrg may also be on to something, (who made the tall frame?).

Reactions: mrg
Back