When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help IDing a Monark

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I picked this old Monark up a couple of weeks ago and finally found some time to give it some attention. I've found lists of Monarks and serial numbers but I cannot figure out how this one fits in. Here are some pictures of the frame, fork, serial number (on the left rear dropout), and headbadge. The entire bike (including the head badge) had been painted with light blue paint. Can anyone give me a hand in identifying the year? I don't need the model, this frame at al is for a project. Thanks in advance, Ed
IMG_20210530_150915349.jpg

IMG_20210530_150440521.jpg

IMG_20210530_150813743.jpg

IMG_20210530_151336490.jpg

IMG_20210530_151536967.jpg

From the info here All steel framed Monarks were either stamped on the bottom brackets prior or tagged later. This looks Very Weird but I like the potential it could have. Hopefully somebody knows ???

I figured it was prewar and I'd found those lists. In doing a google search, I found a picture of another Monark that had a serial number stamped in the left rear fork/drop out. That's when I got busy with the sander and uncovered this 14CC78 stamping. I know it's weird but what else is there out there to research? I have a 1952 Monark built JC Higgins that has the tag on the BB so I'm aware of that era ID. The guy who sold it to me collects Monarks and he just wanted the fenders from this one for another project he had; that's why I could buy this one for $20.

Is it possible that the two Cs are mis-stamped zeros?

I figured it was prewar and I'd found those lists. In doing a google search, I found a picture of another Monark that had a serial number stamped in the left rear fork/drop out. That's when I got busy with the sander and uncovered this 14CC78 stamping. I know it's weird but what else is there out there to research? I have a 1952 Monark built JC Higgins that has the tag on the BB so I'm aware of that era ID. The guy who sold it to me collects Monarks and he just wanted the fenders from this one for another project he had; that's why I could buy this one for $20.

I doubt as clearly as the other #s are stamped that if those were indeed supposed to be zeros that both didn't stamp; Even on a punch

I’ve seen the zeros on a lot of these early Monarks stamped like that. I can’t remember exactly when that frame style came out but either ‘40 or ‘41 I think. V/r Shawn

I heard from the person from whom I bought it. He identified it as a 41 or early 42 based on “ this prewar rocket style frame was used in 40, 41, and 42; the streamline headlight (which he kept with the fenders) was introduced in 41 and only used until the war and not used after.” So I’m happy with it being a 41 or 42. Close enough for this horseshoe pitcher.

Gotta Love those Deep & Super Deep fenders but on Monarks they just look at home compared to anything else! That light has became like 1 of my favorites as well. Isn't it from another brand/bike ?
The fenders on the prewar bikes are standard deep balloon tire fenders and there are at least manufacturers used that style light although I believe they are all slightly different-Snyder (Rollfast), Murray (Mercury), and Monark. I'd be interested hearing from anyone who has compared the three. V/r Shawn

Back