When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help IDing an original JC Higgins

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Rivnut

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I visited a friend today and he showed this bike to me. I thought that I could ID it when I got home but the stamped numbers don't quite match what I've found on the Murray Serial number project. It was in a barn so the lighting wasn't the greatest. I took some flash pictures and those are what I'm posting. I did note in the poor light that the front fender is missing the light and the rear fenders have the correct holes for a skirt guard. I can't tell if it had a tank at one time. What is really throwing me off is the chain guard style. It has an air cooled rear hub w/ JC Higgins brake arm, skip tooth sprockets but missing the chain. The most impressive thing to me was the seat. Perfect - supple and springy. It still has the original Allstate tires on it. So any help IDing this bike and an opinion on value would be appreciated.
IMG_20210602_144900794.jpg

On the BB:
MOS-L
MOD 502 218
serial number

IMG_20210602_144900794.jpg

IMG_20210602_144922828.jpg

IMG_20210602_145125966.jpg

IMG_20210602_145313694.jpg

Thanks in advance, Ed

Pretty neat / unique lookin' kickstand, chain guard & rack👀❗

Those 3 parts not to mention the hubs & nice condition chrome bits etc; I'm sure would easily sell as parts. $100-$250+ & shipping wouldn't be unheard of around here.

If I had any dinero I'd be all over it; TRM tank & soft clean, wax, & grease job would make a Niiice Rider😏

Post-200, page-20, on the Murray serial numbers thread shows a 1947-L; similar to Westfield in those years, (both for Sears?).
When a serial numbering system is documented and well understood, I usually just go with the stamp.
Thanks for posting, now I better understand the era of the 2-slot rear rack luggage carrier.

Last edited:
Back