When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help IDing old electric headlight, 1934 Raleigh

-

johnthespider

On Training Wheels
I'm hoping somebody recognizes what this lamp is, if I'm really lucky someone has some photos of one in good shape so I know what direction to go with restoring it and getting a new lens (was it just flat glass, or was it contoured at all?). It's attached to a 1934 Raleigh with drum brakes, I'd really like to know if the lamp is original, or if it's something someone has added years down the road. Any info would be helpful!

I'll put up some more photos of the bike itself in the coming days, It's a very complete example and should make for a nice rider once it's cleaned up!

20220108_155235_HDR.jpg

20220108_155246_HDR.jpg

20220108_155310_HDR.jpg

Daimona is Greek for demon. What is in the hexagonal mark? Flat clear glass is probably appropriate for the lens. Very early electric lamps were pretty dim and needed the bullseye lens to concentrate the light.

Last edited:
Looking at the big book of old electric bicycle lights, flat glass is the usual lens for this type of light, but it covers mostly British, French and US lights in rapidly descending order:
If you want, there are some molded lenses and convex clock glasses you could use. What is the ID of the bezel? And what do the battery connections look like inside?

Back