When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help ID'ing Pierce-Arrow Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Bicycle Museum of America

Finally riding a big boys bike
Good morning/afternoon/evening all,

I have received some photographs of a Pierce-Arrow Motobike (not Motorbike) with a truss frame. I have looked through catalogues from 1897-1902 and cannot find a single mention of a truss frame Pierce-Arrow Motobike, nor has the internet yielded any results. Have any of you seen a bicycle like this, do you know what the years (approximately) would be that it was produced, or even if it's real? I am beginning to think that it was not a Pierce at all, and someone slapped that badge on there after, but I may be wrong.
WideShot.JPG
Badge.JPG
MotoBike.JPG
P6070019.JPG

Pierce did build truss frames like this. The front crank looks like an Emblem Built Pierce crank in the old thread I posted below. The rivets on the head badge look like they're steel instead of aluminum so maybe it was replaced at some point or added? My mid teens Buffalo Pierce has aluminum head badge rivets. The chain ring makes me think Angola NY Pierce after the bike side of the Pierce businesses was sold in 1917 to Emblem.

If it's an early Pierce the serial number may be on the downtube under the seat post. If a later teens like mine the serial number is on the rear dropouts.

Here is a thread about a Pierce Truss frame. Note that all the Pierce bikes have an S shaped frame brace while the Westfield bike has a straight brace similar to your photos. Someone may have put a Pierce head badge on this to replace a missing Pope Westfield either because they got it without a badge and someone told them it was a Pierce or just because they had the badge lying around, or maybe in the deep dark past someone rebadged it thinking they'd get a better price for it??

Last edited:
What is the decal on the seat mast? Please post an image of the serial number. The saddle, stem, and bars are definitely not correct and are replacements.

BTW the Pierce bicycles were never referred to as "Pierce Arrow" in any literature I've ever seen. The bicycles were simply referred to as "Pierce". V/r Shawn

Back