When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help - Ladies Elgin - Late 20's - Early 30's...?

-

Kato

I live for the CABE
I've had this Ladies Elgin for a while and decided I am going to sell it / list it up here.
Before I do that I'd like to at least know what year it might be and any other info folks might have.
It looks to be a very complete and original bike. Pedals easily on the stand and brakes work very well - has 28" wheels.
Appreciate any info - Thanks in advance !!!

A 1st step may be to try to identify the manufacturer for the Sears Elgin, such as Excelsior or Westfield. Both may have used serial number prefix letters which correspond to a year (not shown). Westfield had a unique seat post clamp (not shown).
The extra 1+1/2” of head tube, above the top tube joint, looks peculiar.
The frame does not look like a 1932-K Westfield, which had curved tubes, with 2 supports in between.

Last edited:
Haven't been feeling too swift but finally got to doing some more looking at the Elgin. The serial # is L76422 and is under the bottom bracket. While looking at the serial I'm thinking the bike was originally a dark blue and not black. I took a couple pics of the seat post clamp also. I did try and see if I could find serial number info........no L but I did fin a M which was 1935 or so.
I had saved a pic of a dark blue ladies Elgin that looked just like this with the extra long head tube but can't find the dang thing.
*** I knew I had a pic - found it. Looks like a cleaner twin of mine ****

Would appreciate any help with year / info
Kato

IMG_0678.JPG

IMG_0681.JPG

IMG_0684.JPG

IMG_0686.JPG

Ladies Elgin Mod.jpg

Last edited:
Serial stamping looks very much like Westfield 1933-L; but the overall bicycle style and some details look earlier, (not like my 1932-K). Perhaps one of the last Excelsior built Elgin bicycles, (before they were acquired by Snyder)?

Last edited:
Found an advance (1929) catalog picture for 1930 models (lower right).

Not sure if the same models were offered in later years -- like 1933, (on or off the catalog pages).

Last edited:
Found an advance (1929) catalog picture for 1930 models (lower right).
Not sure if the same models were offered in later years -- like 1933, (on or off the catalog pages).

Thanks - I was actually wondering if it could be a a little older than 1933........so it might be a Swallow ??
I have a red mens 1929-30 Elgin Cardinal and the girls seems to resemble it quite a bit.
In the as it says " blue with white Markings " and says a " blue seat to match bicycle "
The seat actually looks like it might be / have been blue.........aged - I'll have to take a closer look

Thanks for the info - getting interesting :)
Kato / Mike

Hi Mike,

as Archie says, L is the Westfield year code for 1933. L76422 was probably made in the last third of that year. It's a low production year for Westfield, with correspondingly few survivors.

If you'd like to share the number of your Elgin Cardinal, we may be able to date that more accuratly.

Best Regards,

Adrian

PS, in post 3 you said that you were looking for Westfield dating info. Post 11 may be of use to you in future.

Back