When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help! Looking for Schwinn Corvette Parts and info!

-
Schwinn did a huge make-over for the 1959 models and that's when the long clamp with round head AS bolt showed up. All my pre-59 Corvettes have the short clamp and D bolts with my latest being a 1958.

Last edited:
That’s correct, the 1958 model Corvette was the first year for the two speed option as standard equipment. The American had to be American, so it had to bolt on rim brakes and bendix 2 speed.

You guys are much more knowledgeable about the details of these things, but my October '56 Corvette has a 2-speed Bendix, and it apparently could have been ordered as an accessory. I don't know if the dealer would have installed that or what.

Schwinn a did huge make-over for the 1959 models and that's when the long clamp with round head AS bolt showed up. All my pre-59 Corvettes have the short clamp and D bolts with my latest being a 1958.
So then that was only cad plated? No chrome versions on a Corvette?

Alright. Updated wanted/question list:

Questions:
Where can I get/what length/diameter spokes and nipples do I need?
Rear hub… Bendix Red Band hub? Or plain shell Bendix…?
Seat post… does it have a ridge in the seat end(upper/narrow) portion to prevent seat from turning?
Can I get another view of the rear coaster brake arm mount?

Wanted:
Stainless 26” 1954-1958 fenders Mint or Near
OG 26” Bow Pedals 1/2” Mint or Near
Black and White 2 tone seat with crash bar Mint or Near
Stem/stem bolts Mint or Near
Handlebars Mint or Near
OG Fender+Chainguard Hardware(any condition considered)
Mint or Near kickstand(NO sag/NO wear in mechanism)
54-58 Schwinn Corvette Chainguard straight, any condition paint

Last edited:
Alright. Updated wanted/question list:

Questions:
Where can I get/what length/diameter spokes and nipples do I need?
Rear hub… Bendix Red Band hub? Or plain shell Bendix…?
Seat post… does it have a ridge in the seat end(upper/narrow) portion to prevent seat from turning?
Can I get another view of the rear coaster brake arm mount?

Wanted:
Stainless 26” 1954-1958 fenders Mint or Near
OG 26” Bow Pedals 1/2” Mint or Near
Black and White 2 tone seat with crash bar Mint or Near
Stem/stem bolts Mint or Near
Handlebars Mint or Near
OG Fender+Chainguard Hardware(any condition considered)
Mint or Near kickstand(NO sag/NO wear in mechanism)
54-58 Schwinn Corvette Chainguard straight, any condition paint

Pedals: tinyurl.com/3ba88yhk

You guys are much more knowledgeable about the details of these things, but my October '56 Corvette has a 2-speed Bendix, and it apparently could have been ordered as an accessory. I don't know if the dealer would have installed that or what.

The Bendix 2 speed coaster was an option for a few models in 1956 replacing the coaster brake. It was not a standard option on the Corvette until 1958, but a dealer could order this option on a factory build.

Here's a 1954 1955 Chain guard. Notice the rear mounting bracket location how far it extends past the end of the guard. Also the very common cable clip found on all the boys models.

1664511659906.png

Here's a 1956 thru 1958 guard with the rear bracket extended out 1/2" or so further and no cable clip.

1664511842223.png

Last edited:
Here is a June 1956 Dell comic book with the 1956 Corvette on the back page. I've found out over the years that the comic images are always pretty spot on with the bikes details whereas the actual Schwinn catalog images are not and they don't show the changes of the small details like seats, grips and even front carriers. The two-tone color matching Persons seats were illustrated here in 1956.

1664659753386.png

Back