When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP Lots of Silver King Questions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

TINYuproar

Finally riding a big boys bike
Made some mods to my rat rod. Found a 1936 Monark Silver King aluminum frame. But the guy who sold it to me (on eBay) didn't tell me the seat post and every other steel component was frozen solid (like it probably sat outside for the past 60 years). I got everything loose but the post. So I was hoping maybe you would have some insight on it. But this one is unique, (and a b**ch to repair/replace) The 7 post is proprietary and works like the handlebar stem, pulling a wedge up the seat tube with a bolt to apply internal lateral pressure. Problem is, I tried oiling it for the past 6 days. Wouldn't budge. Used PB Blaster for the following 4 days. Still not moving. I'm so afraid to vice and twist because the frame is 1930s lugged aluminum. I really don't know its overall strength. Last, I beat it with a hammer. This was a mistake, which taught me that A) It's still not going to move and B) The structural integrity of this proprietary 7 post is so compromised by the rust that the hammer bent it. Honestly, it might've been bent already and I didn't notice. The bolt is out and I can hear the wedge inside the frame is loose. I don't really want to torch it (because aluminum frame). Any further suggestions? I'd really like to try to salvage the post as I've found through research that it's the only year monark made it that way and my receiving it (because the seller couldn't remove it) was technically fortunate, but only if I don't have to cut it off and drill it out.

Related: There's a steel pin, which I've learned through a forum where someone was replacing a broken down tube on an SK frame identical to mine, that is the pin that holds the seat tube into the seat post frame lug. It's also unremovable because of rust. Does this pin also hold the 7 post in place? Why the heck didn't monark just use a bolt here?

Another thing the seller didn't mention was a giant glob "repair" where the lug meets the down tube. This fortunately got me $100 off the frame price, putting it at a cool $280 for me. But, first, how strong are SK frames in the first place? Are there any serious or frequent integrity issues? Can anyone tell me how the frame is actually held together? Is it with set screws? How dangerous is riding this frame with this repair? Can I grind it down and buff out? Is there a missing set screw that I'm not aware of in this location? I just don't want to be hauling tail on this thing and do a pavement faceplant.

KEYS! Every locksmith in my city scratches their head at the tumblr of this bike. I really want a key to make the fork lock work. Does anyone A) Have a key that can be re-cut, or preferably blank? B) Have a resource for a locksmith that doesn't suck? I would really prefer not to have to ship the frame to get a key made. Authentic/Era original keys would be highly preferable. Also, even if someone can tell me info that might help local locksmiths, that would be super great as well. I've read info that there's supposed to be a key code somewhere near the tumbler, but can't find anything of that nature.

Hardware/chain tensioners.
My chain tensioners were rusted solid (and ruined) just like everything else. I managed to wire brush them and get them removed just enough to not damage the internal threads of the dropouts. But...they are different lengths and seem to be of different thread pitches. Why would there be different thread pitches on the same bike? No hardware store, ACE/Depot or otherwise, can come up with a modern equivalent. So, I would love it if you all had info related to this and if one of you could sell me relevant NOS tensioners. Also, I'm trying to replace all steel components with stainless or titanium. Nobody seems to have a 7 post bolt close to mine in stainless. Advice would be appreciated on this. What are the standard diameters of the crank housing and headset housing? I would love to replace the grease bearing system on both with sealed bearing systems. I want every modern mechanical thing I can pack into this while preserving the rat rod/old school look and feel of the bike.

Tensioner dimensions (closest guesses based on thread testers at hardware store) I would really prefer they be around 2.5" in length. I'm willing to ship tensioners if someone can determine with precision what replacement tensioners would be necessary.

Short
1/4-28

Long?
1/4-20

Seat post bolt dimensions:

5/16"
24 thread pitch
5" length
Stainless preferred

Was there a kickstand made for these frames that was not a drop stand?

Thanks in advance for any helpful info!

See all relevant attached photos.

ac6430f583ee9bd95fd5efa05ea48816.jpg
33cb1761b85c5159eb56c4475719e2cc.jpg
d38858635273347beebc8c1cf1beba73.jpg
b86761c873f531df246e115a122019ed.jpg
c040aa28d54f99034be1c5edb44135d2.jpg
cb386f8fd844e50470a6cb0b68011d3a.jpg
b415bca23bee692aceee4d1d7323b5fe.jpg
e23fd9e5cf110067104fb2b0d9e533c3.jpg
db892e143225d79336e322d756af48df.jpg
276723db3b8cffb4f3dbdcd0505a4651.jpg
eafd803d41d001dd13d714ff3864e09b.jpg
192840e08af911b45846eecc37b18a57.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heat works, I have extra Stems if you want one. yours is shot. You don't have to use the lucky seven style if you don't want to.you can just use the straight seat post. They used both styles
You're repair sucks grind it off and polish it. If it's no good have it re-welded. Easy repair.
Wald made kick stand that bolts over the frame with u bolts if you don't want to use a rear drop stand. I might have an extra one of those also.
Chain tensioners are an easy find ,You'll probably have to retap the frame to the proper thread
Welcome to the world of silver kings
Buyer beware poor pictures and bad descriptions
Good luck with the lock.

You'll need to find an old-school locksmith. They should have the key codes, and hopefully a blank. You can search through old keys to find one too, and hope you can still have it cut to fit your lock. I believe the key is a Chicago Lock Co. that looks like this:
image (1).png

Just going down the Silverking road myself, pretty cool looking bikes. Looks like you've dove in pretty good already, only thing I've done is remove and cleaned up the crank and chainring. I'll be watching this one as well as few of the other threads on here for advice and tips and tricks on these. Will probably be just cleaning this one, get it back in riding shape and polish it out leaving all the marks and scratches. I did stop at Memory Lane today and picked up a crusty set of pedals and new crank bearings. Best of luck with yours! I'll be starting a thread on this one when I get it up in the stand, hopefully in a week or two. Joe
IMG_20170619_193856252.jpg
IMG_20170623_223700066.jpg
IMG_20170623_224510463.jpg

Just going down the Silverking road myself, pretty cool looking bikes. Looks like you've dove in pretty good already, only thing I've done is remove and cleaned up the crank and chainring. I'll be watching this one as well as few of the other threads on here for advice and tips and tricks on these. Will probably be just cleaning this one, get it back in riding shape and polish it out leaving all the marks and scratches. I did stop at Memory Lane today and picked up a crusty set of pedals and new crank bearings. Best of luck with yours! I'll be starting a thread on this one when I get it up in the stand, hopefully in a week or two. JoeView attachment 486504 View attachment 486505 View attachment 486506

Welcome to the party! Yours must be a '37, due to the straight seat post. Is yours immovable as well? If you can move it, did you have to remove the pin in the lug below the post? You've got a great, more original looking unit with that sweet pie crust crank! ...you also got lucky with a rear aftermarket spoke lock. I've only ever seen those a couple of times. I'm looking forward to following your thread and watching your progress too!!! Thanks for chipping in!

Haven't done anything to it other than remove the crank and chainring, will definitely post as I go. Good luck getting your seat post out, hope I don't run into the same issue. Joe

Try kroil for the seat post. It's a super penetrant.
@WES PINCHOT is the key master

I will try to find some Kroil. I'm located in MI and have not heard of that before, so I'll probably need to order it online. What's the best method of contact for Wes? Here? Does he have an email address? Does he have blanks/original keys or is he just super great at being a locksmith? Thanks for the tips!

I have some good SK chain adjusters. I have some seat posts too.

Do you have the wedge bolt 7? I really love how it looks. I also would like to spin it to point backwards so I can get my saddle to hover over the rear wheel more. Do you have any input as to why my adjusters are two different thread pitches? Was there ever a standard for the SKs? Or was it variable from year to year? I'm interested in what you have for sure. I would also like the adjusters to be 2.5" or somewhere thereabouts if possible. What are your price points? Thanks for participating in my thread!

Back