When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me date this New World please

-
The conventional wisdom as to tapered stands is that they were a 1946 item. But I've seen the tapered stands on some of the 1947 lightweights. This may be the first tapered I've seen on a '48. They are common enough on the lightweights that I sort of don't pay attention to it.

The Schwinn-branded "stainless" rims are excellent - they're a notch above basic steel straight-sided tourist or S6 (though those are not bad at all). It's a big plus for these bikes, in my book.

We've been guessing that the other post war E serial New Worlds are 1948 or 49. I'm going to add it to the chart.

1591849478244.png

We've been guessing that the other post war E serial New Worlds are 1948 or 49. I'm going to add it to the chart.

View attachment 1209041

The post war E series started and ended in 1948. Since Schwinn pre-stamped the serial numbers on the components and it's known that their model year change over started with the November's and all of December's stamped serials, those bikes were most likely the early 49 models and built in 49. Any 48 stamping starting with E133800 would be questionable as 1948 models.

@GTs58 That seems to make sense with the New Worlds we've collected. I'd roll the early 49 E series stamped component use-up back to Harpo's E41183 with Marrow 49-1 hub. How about this updated chart?

1591901869751.png

@GTs58 That seems to make sense with the New Worlds we've collected. I'd roll the early 49 E series stamped component use-up back to Harpo's E41183 with Marrow 49-1 hub. How about this updated chart?

View attachment 1209321

I'm not sure about HARPO's with the 49 dated hub. Could it possibly be original to the bike or not. A chance the BB shells were poorly organized and it sat around for long period before his frame was built? His and Arf's serial numbers were earlier numbers, a mid and late Sept stamping with 5 digits. I've seen this happen in the later years with few late Oct serials but not Sept numbers unless they were all new models being introduced early for sales before Christmas like the Phantom or the middleweight Jaguar. I'm up in the air on those two being 49's, but it is possible.

Back