When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me ID this Gitane

-

TehKernal

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello everyone! One of my wife’s coworkers has a couple of bikes that were his dads, and he knows nothing about them. He sent my wife a couple of pics, hoping I could help him figure out what they are, but unfortunately I know nothing about this Gitane. Anyone know anything about it? Value?

66395ABA-1B94-4A64-B238-A640B85CBF02.jpeg

639E6545-C5CD-4990-AF98-D27927C8FC56.jpeg

---------

Cycle appears to be a model called the Hosteller and looks to date from the early 1970's.

Specific date - the wheel rims are Rigida SUPERCHROMIX and will have a two digit date inside a small diamond near the name: <72>.

1973 was the final year for these transfers.

There is a discussion forum specifically for Gitane bicycles located here. Language is english.

http://www.gitaneusa.com/forum/

Hope this helps a bit. :smiley:

-----

Last edited:
The little chrome strip sticker on the down tube, further towards the head tube than the Gitane decal should have the model name on it.
I thought the Hosteller had a triple on it.
Edit: Upon closer inspection I see that it does have a triple.
Hosteller it is.

Gitane 3.JPG

Last edited:
-----

Hostellers were produced with both double and triple chainsets.

Have one from ~1964 with a two plateau drive train.

-----

Thanks for the info everyone! The bike is at my house now, and it is a 72 Hosteller. I’ve been tasked with selling it, anyone know roughly what it’s worth?

------

It would help readers to give more and better information if you could post one or more drive side images of the machine.

No rush. When you have finished sampling that burger and prior to killing the owner would be soon eno'.

-----

-----

Thank you, that's much better.

Chainset an interesting mix: DURAX arms paired with CYCLO chainwheels and REWAX MD bottom bracket fittings.

Me estimate: 170USD as it sits.

One jumbo caveat:

Market alues can very widely by location. For example, Seattle & Vancouver are "hot" markets. Muncie and Topeka, not so much.

-----

Last edited:
Ok, great! So not knowing anything about derailleur bikes, what makes the chainset on this an interesting mix?

Back