When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help me ID J. C. Higgins

-

Kevinkay

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Just picked this up. From quick search - maybe a Flightliner?
where do I find the Vin #? Back of seat says Troxel Moscow, Tenn., is this the correct seat? I have the headlamp, but looks like maybe there was a tail lamp??- looks like 2 switches on the belly. I wanna hit it with some steel wool to see how much rust comes off, unless there is a better method??
Just joined the forum, so a lot of reading ahead for me. THANKS!
IMG_2692.jpg

IMG_2687.jpg
IMG_2690.jpg

Welcome to the Cabe, looks like a spaceliner and the chrome will be hard to shine up because they put a clear coat over it, but it will clean with alot of elbow grease. I had one and it's worth cleaning up, they look nice all shined up.

Last edited:
OK, Maybe i screwed up with that clear coat?? Or chrome is peeled off?

I believe I have a 61 Flightliner as my stamped numbers are 502 46160

Better to leave inside of fenders as a mess or paint them silver?

I need help with what is the missing lens on the back light?

chrome.jpg

chrome2.jpg

fender.jpg

light.jpg

tail.jpg

Get a brass wire wheel and chuck it in a drill, best way to remove that coating! And safety glasses are a must. If I remember correctly, the taillight has two lenses, very tough to find intact!

OH.....are you saying thats the clear coat that I think looks like the chrome peeled off?? I got frustrated thinking I ruined it (or it was already ruined) and put it aside. I am now revitalized!
THANKS!

I should have said the taillight has 1 bulb.
1670103207912.png

I think you're correct and perhaps that is the clearcoat coming off. Did you see this thread in the Middleweights section?

Clear coat is correct. I have three of these. I took off the clear coat using Citi-strip, a citrus based paint remover. The serial number is on the left rear dropout. MOD502 followed by a four or five digit number, probably beginning with a 4, then a 6 digit number. The MOD502 is Murray’s ID code for bikes built for Sears. The four / five digit number is the model code. The 6 digit number is the serial number. The model number can be used to ID the year. Looks like an early 60s Flightliner to me. Same as the Spaceliner; but in 1964, Sears changed from selling the bike as a JC Higgins to selling the bike as a Sears. At the same time, they changed the model from Flightliner to Spaceliner. The seat is correct. (Wanna sell it?) The pedals should have three reflectors on each side. You have the battery box/light box, but you’re missing the lens.

Sorry about the clarity of the pictures. Took them to show someone some details but didn’t take them out of their storage spot. Post a picture of your numbers and I’ll decode them for you.

THANKS! I have used citrus strippers on painted wood, will give that a try. Can you snap me some phots of the lens at your convenience, curious on how its attached - i don't see any threaded screw holes on mine, maybe it clips into the side rectangle slots??. Did you paint the red parts of your bike - did you find any premixed colors that matched?
(I cut off the last 2 numbers of the serial just because its broadcasted forever over the internet)
Its COLD here, working on repacking the bearings/brakes in the workshop

THANKS

numbers.jpg

bearings.jpg

Your bike is the exact same model as one of mine. A 1961 JC Higgins Flightliner

For degreasing, I use ZEP purple degreaser; no harsh chemicals and it cleans really well.

The taillight lens is a reproduction I got from Shawn Matthiessen off eBay. I used only the lens, it uses two screws which go through the two slots in the rack. Originally, the battery box was held in place by the two screws in the top of the rack. I don’t use battery boxes anymore, corrosion. I have some clip-on LEDs which are much better anyway. Same with headlights and horns. My stepson used a 3D printer to make me a faux battery box. Looks good but it’s useless otherwise. Here’s the link to Shawn’s repo taillight lens.

Here’s the paint that I use.

For those of you restoring a girl’s bike.

The pedals with little round reflectors.

For cleaning the chrome fenders, I use a pad of aluminum foil and water. Sounds too simple but it works well. To clean the springer spring, use some small brass brushes from Harbor Freight. Same on the chrome rims. I wish my bike had been as complete as yours when I got it. If you have any other questions, ask away.

Ed

Last edited:
Back