When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Me ID This Bike -- Whadisit?

-

soddruntlestuntle

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I rescued this bike from my late father-in-law's garage a few years ago. My wife says it's the bike she rode as a young teen, but can't offer any more details. It was definitely repainted at some point, as it's the same crappy Smurf blue my FIL painted his '41 Chevrolet Special Deluxe back in the early nineties. It appears to be a postwar Schwinn frame, and the serial number on the underside of the bottom bracket comes up as having been produced in April of '52-- IF it's a Schwinn.

It's obviously been kitted out at some point with cheap, aftermarket fenders, pedals, seat, and seat post (which doesn't surprise me, as my FIL was cheap), but it's obviously got a skiptooth sweetheart sprocket and a New Departure coaster brake. I had never really given much thought as to the bike's provenance until I joined this fine community, and now I'm curious. Is there anywhere else to look to determine brand/vintage? My next goal is to clean the rear hub to see if I can find any incriminating marks, but any other advice would be appreciated.

thumbnail_IMG_5502.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5503.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5504.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5505.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5510.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5458.jpg

It's a post war Schwinn DX, with the kickstand tube either knocked or ground off. No serial number records survive before 1948, but it's thought that the "B" serials were probably 1946, assuming they started with "A" after the war.

Like others said a post war DX with wrong seat post clamp, seat, pedals, fenders, and stem. Hard to tell but wheels may be incorrect and chain guard missing. V/r Shawn

Back